Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question

Question

Does anyone know of something that calms nerves. I think this would help with pain issues. Masking them with pain killers doesn't seem to work or I havent found anything strong enough.
    Thanks
    Last edited by stevegalliazzo; 11-21-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: A little to personal

Stress/anxiety will aggravate your pain and painkillers will not help.

You can try anti anxiety medications. They have helped some here including me.

What kind of pain do you have? Is it central pain with the burning/stabbing?

Removing yourself from the situation that is bringing on the "nerves" will help the most.

You can PM me
    Tonja
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Question

It is getting better, but it is aggraveted by activity. If I stop for an hour it calms down and once I start moving it starts back up. I would just like something that would settle it down and I think it would get better sooner. I have tried neurontin and it was usless and I have also tried lyrica and they did not touch it either.

It is central pain due to a c-7 injury with burning at the chest and under my arms.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    I have had little luck with new age antidepressants. I have used low dose of Valium and it has helped.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

cymbalta, amitriptyline. How much lyrica did you try? Did you take it up to the maximal doses? You tried Neurontin, did you take that to the maximal doses. You need to try multidrug therapy and not monotherapy where you just use one drug. They are finding that combinations of these drugs works better at quieting the nerves. You have to look at non pharmalogical management as well if you are going to make it without going crazy in the upcoming decades. Acceptance of a life of suffering is one limb of management. Distraction may be the only true management of this problem. Work, music, activity, TV, movies, friends, books, making model airplanes. Knowledge that other people here suffer along with you is helpful too.

I too have used low dose valium for MS/Fibromyalgia with vistoral when I was ospitalized.......I can't handle narcotics. I had severe spasticity, uti and stress fracture when I went in. Tey thought I passed a kidney stone too. I had so much pai I co/uldn't even describe it and this brought it down for me. MS does not have periphial nerve pain, central nervous system pain. Chamomile herbal tea is nice but here is a tea that is a little more effective:
    Passionflower - Passiflora incarnata</B> Passionflower is stronger than most nervines and calming herbs. It's a weak sedative that can be helpful if you have insomnia because you lay in bed thinking the same anxious thoughts over and over. Use for tension, back pain, nerve pain, headaches, gastro-intestinal symptoms caused by stress. California Poppy has similar uses but is stronger acting.

I use teas before I get to extreme pain, if you like a natural course first I just look online for calming herbal teas and order what fits for me.
    Best wishes, hope you find something that works for you.
    Best Regards,
    Minnie

Red face

Hi Thanks for the input. I will talk to my doctor and try the teas as well.

Topamax is another one. I was also going to say what Arn said. Combination drugs is what made it bearable for me.

Now ever day is not good but life works.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I would be very cautious using diazapams (librium, valium, etc.) people can get tolerance quickly like opiates but the difference is that to get off them is more dangerous. Withdrawal off opiates is just miserable. Withdrawal off valium. diazapams can be downright dangerous medically. You can get tolerance taking just 5 mgs twice a day. I find valium helpful for really bad NP pain but I have health respect and try not to use it too frequently.