Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on safe / lockbox

Blog Entries

Advice on safe / lockbox

I need a small line of defence against pilfering caregivers, to keep them from casually lifting little things like checks and cash that I need frequently. I know there is a danger of them stealing the whole thing, but I just would cable it to something somewhere visible, would know who it was if someone managed to cut its cable and take it.

The problem I'm having is finding a lock I can manage. I don't want a key because there would be no place I could hide it and still access in myself. I bought a combination safe but could not push the buttons enough. I've been unable to find a soft touch keypad. Does anyone know of something like this, or have other ideas?

My fantasy of course is something that sprays offender with indelible ink, and lets me know with an alarm. Any ideas for such a thing?

Random, do you have a spare room or closet you could keep all of this stuff in, and install a lock there? This is what we have done for my mother's home. It is my late father's den, and we installed a combination lock that is push button with a lever handle. Only family members have a combination.

Otherwise, here is one I found through Google that you can install in a drawer, cabinet, or on the wall, which you might be able to operate.
    http://medsafeglobal.com/

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 11-20-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Most HHC workers are bonded; if you have sufficient proof you can bring both criminal charges against the worker and sue the employing agency. Been there; done that.

Anytime something is stolen, long-distance calls made on your phone, etc. complain to both the agency in writing and your state Dept of Health and Human Services.

Obviously, prevention is best but those sorts of activities are incredibly common...by requesting an investigation and filing a complaint you'll be preventing that worker from continuing to victimize his/her clients.

Blog Entries
    Randy, sorry they are still pilfering. A fingerprint recognition safe is probably the easiest, but a bit pricey. Here's a small one for $345: http://www.acehomesafes.com/fingerpr...print-safe.php
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by avictoria View Post
    Most HHC workers are bonded; if you have sufficient proof you can bring both criminal charges against the worker and sue the employing agency. Been there; done that.

Anytime something is stolen, long-distance calls made on your phone, etc. complain to both the agency in writing and your state Dept of Health and Human Services.

Obviously, prevention is best but those sorts of activities are incredibly common...by requesting an investigation and filing a complaint you'll be preventing that worker from continuing to victimize his/her clients.
    This would apply only if you get your caregivers from an agency that requires bonding (and a background check). Many are not licensed or certified by the state, so there is no one to complaint to there either. There is no protection like this if you hire PCAs on your own, which many people here do, even if you do or pay for a background check. Filing charges with the police does not go very far, and meanwhile you can be in dire financial straits, and have to be able to convince your provers that you are not drug-seeking when trying to replace stolen meds.

Family members and "friends" also are known to steal controlled drugs too, so locking them up is the best policy.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    I am very lucky to not have pain, so the best high they'd ever get from me is a nice 4-AP buzz. It seems unlikely anyone would go for something effect-unknown, so I think I'm OK on the drugs front.

Thanks KLD. I have no extra room or closet in my matchbox house to secure, but that little box looks promising. I have a wardrobe to which it could be mounted, probably.

Thanks Don - that's a great idea too, but a little pricier than I was hoping to go. Come to think of it, I did buy a serious fingerprint door lock that I never used because I realized belatedly that I would need it to work remotely for me to reach it. Maybe I could buy a small cabinet with a doorknob, and mount it there. Does anyone know of such a thing? ...Poor Dad's work is never done.

Though, by the way, I would rather sell it if anyone is interested. It would be perfect for controlling caregiver access. If anyone is interested, please pm me.
    Last edited by Random; 11-20-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Randy, here's one from Amazon for only $110. Free shipping if you have Amazon Prime.
    http://www.amazon.com/Stack-PS-10-B-...pr_product_top
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

finger printlock box

LockState Fingerprint Biometric Lock Security SafeCase
    Model # LS-SC1000 Internet # 202819430

(1) Write a Review
    $189.00 /EA-Each

Free Shipping
    You might check out home depot they sell this finger print opening safe and several others comes with a "safety cable" might be the ticket for you

Quote:
    Originally Posted by avictoria

This would apply only if you get your caregivers from an agency that requires bonding (and a background check). Many are not licensed or certified by the state, so there is no one to complaint to there either. There is no protection like this if you hire PCAs on your own, which many people here do, even if you do or pay for a background check. Filing charges with the police does not go very far, and meanwhile you can be in dire financial straits, and have to be able to convince your provers that you are not drug-seeking when trying to replace stolen meds.

Family members and "friends" also are known to steal controlled drugs too, so locking them up is the best policy.

(KLD)

Absolutely, obviously, locking up valuables is the best policy. But if medications are stolen, or checks stolen and forged, credit cards, etc one needs to notify the police.
    Filing charges with the police may not go very far BUT you need to file charges to protect yourself if you're the victim of a crime. Try explaining to your bank, credit card company or prescribing physician that your checkbook was stolen and checks were forged, or that your pain medications were stolen but you didn't bother calling the police and filing a report.

Complacency is one reason these things keep happening. If the worker is bonded and insured, file written complaints and demand investigations.
    After I filed a formal complaint against Interim Home Care, I requested their records from the state DHHS under the Freedom of Information act and saw that stolen items were replaced when it was possible, the company started following state law regarding reporting patient complaints and forwarding those complaints both to the police and to the DHHS as per state law.

Know your rights, know whom to contact and do not fail to report misconduct and/or criminal activities.
    Of course lock up your valuables and be vigilant but don't be afraid to exercise your rights in case you are victimized.

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Randy, here's one from Amazon for only $110. Free shipping if you have Amazon Prime.
    Its over $25 ..... should be free shipping no matter what.

(gotta love amazon!)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005