Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tried Icon yesterday

@grommet - thank you for the kind words, it really makes the effort we've put into this worth every single second, and it was a real pleasure meeting you and your gf in person, and getting feedback from someone who has clearly spent a ton of time thinking about equipment.

The wider wing will be offered as an additional part - we already have two sizes of wings, a "high" and a "low", and will add a wider wing into the mix early in the new year to accomodate people who want a little more room, and/or those who don't need to manage the leg splaying/frogging issue.

@PeteShick and Jschism - the folding back was one of the parts that we underestimated in terms of how popular it would be as an option, so we ended up being backordered on them - we're leaning as hard as we can on the division that is making us more of them, and I promise to make it up to to you and say thanks for your patience as best I can with some complimentary upgrades. I'll call both of you when I get home this week to follow up.

The first production run was a limited run, and didn't use the robotic weld processes that we'll be using for the bigger runs - the robot welding will even further improve the consistency - the tests that we just got back show a pretty significant improvement on the weld penetration as well.

Here are a couple of pics of the how my feet sit in the foot rest. My shoes are 8 1/2. I think this is probably the low front end but Jeff can confirm. I couldn't get my feet in that "other" chair but they fit fine in the Icon

Really? I remember all the hype about the marvel! Excuse me if I am a bit cynical, I have followed all I can find on the Icon and I just don't get it! I will try one when I get a chance and I do hope I am wrong. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    Really? I remember all the hype about the marvel! Excuse me if I am a bit cynical, I have followed all I can find on the Icon and I just don't get it! I will try one when I get a chance and I do hope I am wrong. Just sayin...

What about the Icon are you missing? (Other than seat time, which you already mentioned.)

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    The wider wing will be offered as an additional part - we already have two sizes of wings, a "high" and a "low", and will add a wider wing into the mix early in the new year to accomodate people who want a little more room, and/or those who don't need to manage the leg splaying/frogging issue.
    Just to clarify, would this be a No Charge Option or as an additional part (more $$)?

I find when it comes to the splaying/frogging issue, sometimes the cause is too narrow a footrest. With many males, when their femurs are properly aligned, but their feet are positioned too close together, the knees splay outward. This is best controlled more proximally along the lateral thigh (via the contour of the cushion or perhaps an innovative side guard design) and by ensuring the seat-footrest length is adequate.

When determining the best width, consider that many male end users may wear slightly wider shoes and that the radius of bend where the tubing transitions from horizontal to vertical takes up some of the usable footrest width. A useable footrest width of 11" would cover the vast majority of males, but would be too wide for some.

I applaud you for recognizing that "one size" can not be adjusted to fit all, but that offering a limited number of "packages" will be able to accomodate most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    Roller, this isn't hype from me. I tried the chair. I took it outside, down stairs, off curbs and up some inclines. I sat in it, bounced on the suspension, reached all over to feel the parts. I really took a hard look at it. It is the chair that I've been looking for and my experience is that it was terrific and not like anything I've tried before.

I said it in my OP that it's something you have to try to see what it's like. The Lasher felt exactly like I thought it would and I was only guessing from the pictures I'd seen and my time in chairs. Most chairs are like that. The Icon is different. Nothing prepared me for what it actually felt like. I can't really describe the light airy emptiness under you feeling. It just went and wasn't scared of anything I tried to do with it. Even if it doesn't work for you, and that's entirely possible, I think you will be quite impressed just seeing the parts that make up the chair up close. If you get the chance, try the chair.

I am jelous. wish you would have taken lots of pics and got some video of it. This is my dream chair!

Grommet: You mentioned that you're not SCI. Are you ambulatory at all? I'm curious to know how you do your transfers; specifically, what part(s) of the chair, if any, do you grab onto? I "live" on the frame tubing directly in front of the seat pan. Without those grab points I'd have to relearn the majority of my transfer techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Grommet: You mentioned that you're not SCI. Are you ambulatory at all? I'm curious to know how you do your transfers; specifically, what part(s) of the chair, if any, do you grab onto? I "live" on the frame tubing directly in front of the seat pan. Without those grab points I'd have to relearn the majority of my transfer techniques.
    Stephen, a really good point to make. Actually I am ambulatory, I can walk and if necessary (it's a pretty bad scene) I can get up and down stairs walking. Oh hate that. Eek.

Anyhow, even with my ability to stand and my leg strength, I did have problems transferring. With my nerve stuff I pay a price everytime I stand up and I avoid it all I can. Some days it really sucks. Getting in and out of the Icon was a problem. I didn't find a good place to grab, given another half an hour or even less, I might have figured it out. Right now I'd say if there's a good spot to support yourself for a transer, I couldn't figure it out. I love the frame tube on my Tilite TR. Very steady and easy to grip and I can hold on even with the chair starts to roll. Perfect height too.

I just didn't have enough time with the Icon to work out how I would make transfers, I just kind of jumped and fobbed it at the show. I was so interested in riding the chair I wasn't trying to solve the transfer problem just yet. I do think, unless I'm missing something and I could be, the Icon as is could be either difficult of unusable for some people just because of the transfer problem.

As I said, I'm in love with the chair and when you're in love you are not thinking clearly. I liked the ride so much I glossed over the trouble I had with the width of the wings and the difficult transfer. Also, the Icon has lot's of sharp edges and points. I mentioned that to Jeff and Christian and they both said it was going to be worked out. If I had the chair at my place right now I'd be at work with the Dremel tool saving my skin.

I loved the ride so much and the adjustability I feel ready to make some sacrifices but here's what I'm hoping - Jeff and Christian are making so many changes so quickly that the problems I had with the show chair may be gone soon. It's not perfect. My Tilite TR is just about perfect and I absolutely love my chair. But it's not exactly perfect in fit and it has no suspension. The adjustability of the Icon and the great suspension really got me excited and ready to actually get out of my Tilite and into a new chair.

Good point though about the transfers, I'm pretty AB when it comes to transferring (if I'm not tired or having a bad day) and I had a bunch of trouble making the transfer to the Icon from my TR. Maybe it's about learning to transfer differently. Jeff did say there was some kind of option coming soon to help with transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post

In another front frameless chair I transferred using the outside corner of the seat pan or, more typically, the outside tire. Grabbing the tire, pushring, and rim with my 4 fingers and my thumb on the inside of the side guard, squeezing the tire and guard together (holding the whole thimg from moving). Inside hand on whatever I'm moving away from. That's my usual in my perimeter frame chairs, as well.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.