Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading manual chair into minivan

Loading manual chair into minivan

Does anyone drive a minivan that hasn't been modified with a ramp? I'm a T12 and tried out a Toyota Sienna this weekend. I could get into the van fine but loading the chair wasn't easy. I load mine by taking the wheels off then pulling the frame over me to the passenger seat. Getting it out was easy but I just wondered if anyone has any tips or tricks to load it or is it just something that gets easier with time? I don't want to buy one then feel stuck with it if it's too difficult. I should also mention that I'm 6 feet tall so my chair is biggish - 16x18 seat. It seems like a lot of people here drive trucks so I know that would be a similar situation too. Any advice is appreciated. My current car (Volvo station wagon) has 175,000 miles on it so I need to be ready when it finally dies!

I have an unmodified Chrysler Minivan with a driver-side sliding door, but I can stand and walk a bit, so I load my fully assembled chair while standing. But I have MS, which can be progressive, so I've kept my eyes open for ways/equipment to load it if I can no longer stand.

What I would do, is have a van with power side doors, get a lift seat for transferring to the driver's seat, and buy a wheelchair lift winch to load the chair into the side door. CC users have posted about those accessories, but I don't remember where the posts are.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Here's a link to the type of lift winch I am thinking about. This one is made for power chairs, so it's heavy duty. Lighter ones exist for manual chairs.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Phillis, I've got a toyota previa. I do just what you do, and it's no problem. It gets to be a routine after awhile so go with it. It helps when you workout, the chair feels like it's only oz'es when you do.

Look at models which have a driver's side rear sliding door with the rear seat taken out. You should be able to throw the chair behind you without taking the wheels off.

Hello. It is 3 years since i got my Speedy-Lift for my Mazda 5 and it is been wonderfull. In and out in seconds and very easy. Take a look at it im sure you will like it.
    Good luck......

This setup is almost exactly what I was thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by handiman View Post
    Hello. It is 3 years since i got my Speedy-Lift for my Mazda 5 and it is been wonderfull. In and out in seconds and very easy. Take a look at it im sure you will like it.
    Good luck......
    Last edited by chasmengr; 11-20-2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I'm a t-10 and 6ft tall as well. I drive a Kia Sedona mini van. I have taken out the drive side passenger seat and there is no problem getting it in and out with no adaptive assistance. There should be a bar on the frame of the minivan that divides the driver side front door from the driver side pasenger door. You can put all of your weight on that bar which will give you enough stability to pull your chair in and out. Let me know if you want more detail . . . I've been in a chair for 24yrs and have had a minivan for the last 12 and it's been a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Look at models which have a driver's side rear sliding door with the rear seat taken out. You should be able to throw the chair behind you without taking the wheels off.
    Is this what you do? How do you manage to pull the chair in? The Sierra has a door like you mentioned but I can"t quite picture pulling my chair in like that. Thanks to everyone else for the input/feedback. It's nice to know it's a possibility. My girls are getting bigger & complaining about the lack of space in my current car. A minivan would be awesome!!

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillis View Post
    Is this what you do? How do you manage to pull the chair in? The Sierra has a door like you mentioned but I can"t quite picture pulling my chair in like that. Thanks to everyone else for the input/feedback. It's nice to know it's a possibility. My girls are getting bigger & complaining about the lack of space in my current car. A minivan would be awesome!!
    Easy Stand has a free video they send out, there is a guy on the video that loads in a van with no devices as the last post mentioned.