Thread: tilt table or standing frame?

tilt table or standing frame?

Our son, who suffered a C5 injury two years ago, needs to do more standing. (At present four of us stand him up and support him but none of us can keep this up for more than 20 minutes.)

We are very confused about the comparative advantages and disadvantages of tilt tables and standing frames. Our son used a tilt table when he was in rehab but has never used a standing frame. A tilt table is obviously easier with regard to transfers and can be used flat as a physiotherapy table. Is a standing frame better in any way?

There seems to be a very wide range in terms of capabilities and price for both. At this point we would be looking for something basic and inexpensive (if any of this equipment could be called inexpensive).

Can anyone advise? Thanks.

I am a C4-C5 Quad, 34 years injured and I have only used a tilt table. I've often wanted to try a standing frame like the easy glider for its many movement benefits, however, because of difficulty transferring into one I have not tried it yet.

My only concern is that a tilt table allows you to vary the angle based upon you need like blood pressure for example (which does vary based on fluid volume, salt intake, etc.) and several other factors.

Since I have not tried one I do not know if any standing frame allows for that possibility. Perhaps it does; I just do not know.

Standing is good for overall health, despite what "experts" may say. Since I had been standing I have had zero kidney stones and fewer bladder infections. Standing is good for the heart kidneys bowels and lungs. It is also excellent for maintaining proper renin production in the kidneys. Kidneys are vitally important if you are a quad.

That's my two bits. I hope that you find some help in my words.

FutureWalker
    Last edited by futurewalker; 11-19-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: renin
    Futurewalker

Thanks Futurewalker. What you say makes sense -- I think the easier transfers to a tilt table might make it the more sensible choice for the stage my son is at right now. I too am attracted to the fancy standing frames with the gliding function, but that really bumps up the price and I think that what my son needs urgently right now is standing, in order to build up his bones which have deteriorated from lack of weight bearing. There will always be the opportunity later on to trade in the table for a glider/standing frame once he's ready for that. I'd welcome anyone else's opinion.

Mamadavid,

If your son gets light headed standing you can try putting electronic stim pads on the back and front of his lower legs to help pump the blood back up, and also give those muscles a workout. My physical therapist recommended this and it works for me when I do the standing frame. (C4 quad). Good luck!

Thanks Illanoys. Will try that.

Here is a blog post "Is Standing the New Tilt?" that might help answer your questions. It also includes a link to the health benefits of upright standing. http://blog.easystand.com/2008/08/is...-the-new-tilt/

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanne Freitag View Post
    Here is a blog post "Is Standing the New Tilt?" that might help answer your questions. It also includes a link to the health benefits of upright standing. http://blog.easystand.com/2008/08/is...-the-new-tilt/
    The person above works for EasyStand (and has no registered profile here disclosing this)...this is close to advertising. Some of the claims made in this blog are not scientifically supported.

(KLD)

Mamadavid--

Our daughter is C4 and we have used tilt and own an Easy Stand Evolv. In hindsight, I wish we would have ordered a tilt table. It is easier for us to transfer her to from the ceiling lift and has less to adjust on it and I could do it by myself...more of a no-brainer. If I could do it again, I would go with a tilt table.

In Reply

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The person above works for EasyStand (and has no registered profile here disclosing this)...this is close to advertising. Some of the claims made in this blog are not scientifically supported.

(KLD)
    SCI Nurse I think that if you look back at several of my posts I clearly indicate at the beginning of them that I work for EasyStand, like in this post for example http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=171343 So I am in no way hiding this fact. In this particular post I was simply offering a resource and in no way in my comment did I say that a standing frame was a better choice. My apologies if you feel this is out of line.