Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: A fervent wish for the coming year

Adrian - well written, factually stated, impressive; you made an excellent point.

cjo33 - I will be back in my Vista, CA apartment the week of 1/6/03 and will get started, thanks for the offer, and suggestion of going through Will. I'll keep you posted.

Dr. Young,

Isn't there anyway you can get on 20/20, 60 minutes, etc? I've had a few papers published but my name doesn't hold much power, your's does.

Deb

4AP vs. Gleevic

4AP doesn't have the urgency factor associated with it that Gleevic has. SCI is not considered a terminal illness. Survival rates continue to climb. I don't think urgency works in our favor with so many happy, successful survivors living long lives. We need to make DA our poster child.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

thats true jeff, however cancer cure rate is 50%. sci cure rate is, "we scared to try.'

Impotence and baldness aren't terminal, yet they've come up with effective treatments for those 'ailments.'

Debbie, I don't call 20/20 and shows like that. They call me. Basically, if they think that they have a story and need my input, they call. In order to get onto these shows, one needs a newsworthy story. But, let me ask the question, what do people want to say... that has not been said already. Wise.

Adrian, thank you for your thoughtful discussion on Gleevec (not Gleevic... it was formerly called Glivic). Perhaps some background on this drug may be helpful.

First, Gleevec (Imatinib Mesylate, STI571) has been extensively studied. According to Medline, since 1999 over 459 journal articles are available on this drug. That is a huge amount of data, funded by many millions of dollars of support from the drug companies, National Institutes of Health, and other sources.

Second, this drug is based on a series of other drugs that have been used before, a tyrosine kinase inhibitor. Over 7315 journal articles have been published on tyrosine kinase inhibitor drugs.

Third, there is a difference between development time and FDA approval time. In general, FDA approval times range from 1-2 years. In 1998, it was 11.5 months and it was up to 16.5 in 1999. However, this is only after all the data has been submitted to the FDA. Prior to that submission, there is often many year years of preclinical and clinical trial work. Large scale phase 2b trials started nearly four years ago on STI571. Phase 1 trials started even earlier. There have been at least 5 large-scale trials of STI571 in the U.S. and in Europe.

Incidentally, this kind of volume of work requires billions of dollars, more than is being invested in all of spinal cord injury research during the past 10 years. I don't know of any treatment for spinal cord injury that has received this kind of support.

I am really glad that people are paying attention to such matters because it is important.

Wise.

CJO

That's the other half of the equation. Money can be made in any ailment that people are willing to pay for. Fortunately for those losing hair and erections companies have stepped up to the plate with treatments. If those impairments were as complicated as solving spinal cord injury, however, there would be many more bald and impotent men on the planet.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

billions, trillions, gazillions...money we don't have, money we will never have. therefore follow another path that don't require the huge amount of money. the nutto aliens ppl comes to mind. did they need billions? and this is besides the point rather they cloned a baby or not. they went outside the country. we could do the same. they put out a big story, so could we. if word got out to the world that sci is curable and is being cured. NO BODY COULD STOP THE WAVE. THE USA WILL BE FORCED TO FACE UP.
    however, its all a pipedream. no usa researchers have the guts or passion to pull a end around. punked like cowards.

DA, do you think that clonaid did it alone and overnight by themselves? There is also a lot of skepticism concerning whether or not they did it. I am also curious as to what you think should be done overseas that is not already being done. Wise.