Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: A fervent wish for the coming year

Sue - the vast majority of researchers may not work with humans, but Dr. Lima and Dr. Huang are with success. I don't care if they're called researchers or clinicians, that's not my argument. My SCI doc thinks the cure is ten years away and has no knowledge of the current success stories. Clinical trials may help to find the most effective treatments, but in my mind effective(those that can improve my situation) treatments are already here. I would gladly sign a release for any clinician willing to treat me. Please don't try to make me look like an idiot with your simpleton questions - I think we want the same thing.

Chris - I do believe the incentive is there for scientist to "take a chance". I think notoriety is a big one and I doubt any U.S. doctor would be hurting for money if he was getting plegics up and walking around. I do agree with you, but I do believe there are doctors out there, like Dr. Young, who have devoted years of their lives to understanding SCI and won't give up until they figure this thing out. I just think they're being too damn careful and they're afraid to go for it...

jessie wasn't sci research. why does his death affect ONLY us and not cancer, aids, or anything else. the only time i ever hear his name is with sci research.

A suggestion

In a concerted effort to positively identify a meaningful, result oriented therapy, one must first sift through the current data.

China is moving ahead at a very brisk pace, however, they are utilizing fetal embryonic stem cells that the patient has to coordinate. This effectively excludes non-chinese nationalists for now; not an option

The USA is not really even close to a human clinical trial utilizing OEC cells of any type, stem cells are probably 10 years away; not an option.

Australia has conducted OEG human trials but any meaningful interpretation of the results has not been available; a possible option in the near future.

Portugal is utilizing autologous OEG and has conducted several human trials, however, reliable information has not been available. From all accounts, Dr. Lima has proven the procedure is safe (also China and Australia). Dr. Lima has also traveled quite extensively discussing his procedure. This combined with aggressive PT, could be our elixor. We just need some accurate data; the best option we have currently.

All you posters encourage taking a chance, moving ahead, and working toward the goal we all share, and I am with you all the way. So in my bid to share the burden, I will do the following:

Someone locate and forward to me the proper method for contacting Dr. Lima, and I will discuss the future of his procedure and how/when it my impact us. I will locate and hire a professional translator and subsequently post the response for all to read, at my expense. Once a reply is recieved, we may have to move the options around or even drop one accordingly. If we are to move forward, we must be calculatingly aggressive, persistent, and strive for accurate information. My request is open for debate and modification.

Back for more...

who irresponsibly rushed to clone humans before the technology is ready and who, in all likelihood, will be producing deformed babies.
    If it's irresponsible to produce deformed babies(although we still don't know), is it responsible to not help those who are deformed? For the record, I AM deformed because my body doesn't function the way it is supposed to.

Schmecky ~ agreed, those of us that are injured now will not receive treatment in the U.S. for some time. Will it be ten years? I doubt it. Americans are way too competitive for that time frame. I would gladly move to Australia or Portugal if it would take years off of my SCI life.

Schmecky ~ agreed, those of us that are injured now will not receive treatment in the U.S. for some time. Will it be ten years? I doubt it. Americans are way too competitive for that time frame.

artifical blood was invented in the USA years ago. its been in use in europe for several years now. usa still thinks its hilarious to see ppl die versus approving the blood.

DA, your comment about the 21st century being when "humanity moves away from those greeds" is great. I wish / hope it were true. Unfortunately Jessie's tragic situation has effected clinical trials in many arenas including cancer, aids, parkinson's, alzheimer's. It may look like only us but I don't think so.

CJO, I have felt, and still do to a large extent, exactly as you do. Many of us here do. For me, it took a while, but understanding how the whole process works, regardless of the problem (i.e. aids, cancer, sci)was critical for me in terms of where to direct my energies. I wrote a thread about the "urgency factor" (meaning more aggressiveness from the sci medical community) about a year ago and was educated as to the challenges all doctors / researchers in many fields face. Sci is obviously not mutually exclusive. Dr. Y has said it many times that consistent clinical trial infrastructure and consistency is critical. Oh yeah, and a whole boat load of money. The aggressive treatments and the substantial risks they carry are and will be overseas until the U.S. goes through its protocol dotting our 'i's and crossing our 't''s. That's the way our system works. Is it right? Is it wrong? Obviously for us who want action now it appears wrong. But in the long run, who knows? Watching Craig hospital go through the hoops it had to in bringing Proneuron's macophage trial to fruition I have more respect for the process. I don't like it, but I respect it for what it is.

Schmeky, what about the chinese doctor, Zhang, that is doing peripheral nerve re-routing? I don't know much if anything about it but it sounds interesting. Or Dr. Kawaguchi and his ginsu (it slices, it dices, it transects...)knife approach? Is there any human application on the horizon?

Fortitudine Vincimus
    (Through endurance we conquer)

cjo33 - I sincerely hope I am wrong and you are correct on the 10 year scenario. Unfortunately, recent items posted on this website are the source of my prediction.

DA - after I personally witnessed the deception, lies, and insincerity the Oncologist displayed who treated my deceased step-mother, I would believe most anything.

Chris - yes, these are further options, but I feel we need to focus on one option at a time, I think Dr. Lima is potentially the best source presently available.

Still willing to spend my money contacting Dr. Lima, still need to get his contact info.

none

Cures that kill for the greater good

Interesting argument Dr.Young. Unlike the procedures you have described,(for which we are greatful for the sacrifices made,) Omental Transposition has not killed or caused harm to anyone. Fear mongering, I agree is an obstruction to progress.

jrm design art studio

Get the message out

The public and the politic people just don't seem to understand stem cells and theraputic cloning and many don't want to know. They think it is immoral or too scary. My husband tried to talk to our Repb. Senator about it and he wouldn't even discuss it except to say he wouldn't destroy human life. Dr. Young, your message above is wonderful and should be put in every major newspaper in the country. Please see about doing that. Also would it be okay for me to put it in our local newspaper as an article that you wrote, assuming they will print it?

chris you are so wrong. nothing is slowing cancer except science itself. what about gleevic run through approval compared to our 4-ap 14 years and still counting. there is 2 standards, one for the exploitable communities like us, and others for the high profit communities. jessie death didn't slow cancer and never will. stop making excuses. the reason we are an exploitable community is because we help them make excuses. just like a battered wife who make excuses for her abusive husband.