Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: A fervent wish for the coming year

Bent

Yes, 10 years away, realistically. I hope sooner of course, but an accepted finalized therapy, wide scale training, moving this therapy from one country to the next, getting on a waiting list, determining method of payment (which in ten years could exclude many, [$200,000.00 is probably realistic]), possible litigation, followup physical therapy, etc., etc., well, you obviously have the picture. Hope springs eternal, but reality, unfortunately, rears its ugly head all to often.

doggie...reread this thread and my past messages you will find your answers. there is a lot you don't understand and by answering your questions will lead to another question and another. im too tired to keep repeating myself.

schmecky...the goal of "the establishment" is 10 or 20 years. its not them suffering so they don't care. our goal is to not let them drag it out 10 years.

Good to see DA and dogger haven't changed in the new year. The Todd River awaits DA!
    Andrew

"You can stand me up at the gates of hell
    But I won't back down"
    Tom Petty

Dr. Young, as for a newspaper article spelling out the facts about stem cells and cloning, it would be more effective when Congress takes up legislation pertaining to these issues. At that time it would be nice to have something for the paper. Bush's bioethics panel wants to shut down all research in this area which is like Hitler's burning of books.

skier, there are more articles that you can shake a stick at describing every aspect of embryonic stem cells and cloning. I can try to put together an article that tries to explain it again and post it on the carecure site, summarizing all the various arguments. Once people have read that and we sharpen it through the criticism from our community, we can submit it. Wise.

Skier and Wise,
    The CAMAR Advocacy as well as stem cell group are preparing Op-ed pieces now! Two bills are ready to be introduced from opposing sides. Please see the Heads Up post in the Cure Forum. Sample letters are being drafted now. Anyone who is interested, please private topic me or Sue Pendelton.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia!"----- Charles Schultz

I have concluded the reason for this post is mainly phycological. 2002 is now history, and although research is occurring, most of the people that frequent this site see this as another year passing without any definite conclusions, another year of life gone by without ambulation, chronic pain, and no B, B, & S function. It is only rational to wonder what 2003 holds for the stricken. There are questions we all have, but unfortunately, a clear concise answer is rare. One trend is undeniable in that those suffering the ravages of SCI for a number of years have accepted and adjusted much better than the recently stricken. This site is a veritable lifeline for the SCI community as well as a valuable source of usable information and I applaud it for these reasons.

For me, the most difficult aspect of SCI is not knowing "when" but "if" a treatment will surface in my lifetime.

Schmeky

I don't know if it's true that having suffered from SCI for a long time means you accept or adjust to the condition better than the newly injured.

In my own case I have found it increasingly hard to live with SCI in spite of having done pretty well for 19 years. Somehow a cure not happening in time or my not being a suitable candidate both seem real possibilities.

I was better adjusted earlier. In my case, though, so far it hasn't been paralysis that's gotten to me - it's pain. I've never had the opportunity to try life just as a quad (the one pain-free month in acute care didn't count - 2.5 weeks on a Stryker frame and the my first 1.5 weeks in a halo don't qualify as "normal" quad life.)

its much harder for me now then it was years ago. i guess now i feel time is running out for me.