Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

Diabetes

Just got the news yesterday that I've got diabetes to add to my c5-6 SCI. Does anybody else in here have diabetes and, if so, how has it impacted your SCI or vice-versa? Thx.
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

I've got it, and lupus too. Had a three way bypass in may, got a bi-pap machine, had a fusion of the c-2/3 , had a stroke 2 yrs ago, and I go fishin as often as possible, and hunting whenever I can. Don't let it slow ya down, or your a goner. Good luck, eat smaller portions and watch the sugar intake, use splenda, or somthin like it. .

My brother,c5 also, had type l or insulin dependent diabetes for 30 years before having his accident. But he was in good shape, actually training for a triathalon before too. I was very worried how the SCI would impact the diabetes but it's all good. He has had almost no issue due to the diabetes, no skin breakdown at all, good healing times. We do note that any UTI symptoms affect his blood sugar readings and I wonder if tx for such isn't quicker due to the diabetes. His A1c is a little higher than it used to be because it's harder to get activity levels up enough. Good diet and skin care has helped alot. Need to get eyes checked yearly, maintain a moderate diet (watch carbs) and keep an eye on any cardiac sx. I'm sure you'll do fine. Deb any specific questions?

Quote Originally Posted by goldnucs View Post
    Just got the news yesterday that I've got diabetes to add to my c5-6 SCI. Does anybody else in here have diabetes and, if so, how has it impacted your SCI or vice-versa? Thx.

Hi Rick,

From one C5-C6 to another, it appears I am following you. My doctor has me testing my blood sugar and the last three nights it has been 557,420 & 512. I have all the symptoms except hunger as I don't want to eat anything...just drinking water, milk and gatorade. In the last 7 weeks, I have lost between 30 to 40 lbs. I guess I'll find out next week when I visit my PCP.

Good luck with yours and I'll let you know how mine goes.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Diabetic here too. Just watch your carbs, eat healthy, and make sure you have good evaluations done yearly on your eyes (testing for retinopathy). Every 3-6 months your doc should run a A1C test, which is a mean of your glucose levels over approx. three months. I was diagnosed in 2003 and so far no problems.

Might check out http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

Also, there is a book http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/20585442.php with the same information.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

HgbA1C is the test to find out what has been going on for several months. And less complications when discovered and treated- start with diet but if that isn't keeping it down, then medications, exercise. In most it is easily controllable.
    CWO

I also am Type 1 diabetic and was for 32 years before my injury. My blood sugar control is much better now than before due to a more settled routine with a similar amout of exercise and physical work each day. My diet is similar but with less calories due to the reduced activity level. Keeping your weight under control is key. My blood sugar levels also go up with UTI or any other type infection and I use it to diagnose infections. Good luck!

I was type 1 diabetic for 20 years prior to my SCI. I've wondered how much the diabetes has played into SCI recovery since diabetics heal slower, over all.

One other poster mentioned UTIs and I want to stress that with you. Diabetics get UTIs easier because of high sugar episodes. As you probably know UTIs are inherently part of an SCI life. If you have diabetes, this may become more challenging.

It's scary to get such a diagnosis. However, I can tell you that once you get used to the routine, it's pretty much life as usual. I don't even think of it as being a bother.

Walmart has a mail in HbA1c test available for about $10. The lab is certified Level I (the best possible rating) by the National Glycohemoglobin Standardization Program http://www.ngsp.org/ The test is almost certainly more accurate and cheaper than your local lab. Walmart also seems to have good meters and test strips at the best prices. I am guessing that one on the Waltons must have diabetes.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.