Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UC Irvine - hav we all seen this one?

UC Irvine - hav we all seen this one?

Last edited by Christopher Paddon; 11-17-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Comments from Dr Young, Dr Silver?

The article seems to be more than a year old, yet it appears on the November 17 issue. Has anyone heard any more recent news about it?

This is the evolution, even more exciting IMO
    Sustained axon regeneration induced by co-deletion of PTEN and SOCS3

.....Here we show that, remarkably, simultaneous deletion of both PTEN and SOCS3 enables robust and sustained axon regeneration. We further show that PTEN and SOCS3 regulate two independent pathways that act synergistically to promote enhanced axon regeneration...

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture10594.html
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 11-18-2011 at 07:59 AM.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Here goes , the only trial for chronic spinal cord injury is the one that Dr. wise is doing , and if that fails then forget about a cure for at least ten years and here I am being optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by lakboy View Post
    Here goes , the only trial for chronic spinal cord injury is the one that Dr. wise is doing , and if that fails then forget about a cure for at least ten years and here I am being optimistic.
    Check out the chart for spinal cord injury clinical trials here...China is not the only one with a trial.

PTEN activity is low early during development, allowing cell proliferation. PTEN then turns on when growth is completed, inhibiting mTOR and precluding any ability to regenerate.
    Would that mean that an infant who suffers a spinal cord injury is less likely to become paralyzed????
    KB

For my thoughts on why pten is a poor target for SCI therapy any time soon- http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=148545&page=2

As a side note, Dr He's lab that did this is in the middle of moving to UCSD from Harvard so they can take advantage of the better research environment for stem cells in California.
    Last edited by dr.zapp; 11-19-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Don't get all excited about this, as I said in my earlier post- PTEN is a tumor suppressor! You take it away and you get cancer.
    So same thought different question, why aren't infants more susceptible to cancer?
    KB

Neurons are not susceptible to cancer-like growth. Glial cells are what causes brain cancer. pTEN inhibition causes the axons to regenerate from the neuron cell body.

Dr. He is moving to UC Berkeley, not UCSD. Dr. He is not moving to California because of the better research environment for stem cells in California.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.zapp View Post
    For my thoughts on why pten is a poor target for SCI therapy any time soon- http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=148545&page=2

As a side note, Dr He's lab that did this is in the middle of moving to UCSD from Harvard so they can take advantage of the better research environment for stem cells in California.
    In the abstract I read:

"Our results reveal concurrent activation of mTOR and STAT3 pathways as key for sustaining long-distance axon regeneration in adult CNS, a crucial step towards functional recovery"

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture10594.html

I wonder if there could be a way to activate mTOR and STAT3 without co-deleting PTEN and SOCS3?

Then if that would be possible would still exist the cancer risk?

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming