Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have an ecoli ESBL uti

I have an ecoli ESBL uti

And it's such rotten timing.

The only oral drug susceptible is 'Nitrofurantoin <=16 susceptible'
    I am on day 4 out of 7 of treatment and it doesnt seem to be working. My urine is clear but I'm feeling the urge to pee sooner then usual. I started taking a high dose vitamin d at the same time so I googled and found that it can cause an increased urge. Also Mayo clinic said it could increase the chance of getting a uti but many other sites say the opposite including a study . Who do I believe?

Also is this saying I could've gotten this bacteria solely by taking antibiotics previously? I have a couple times this year. I havent cathed in a hospital lately altho I did in a public bathroom.
    Transmission
    Known risk factors for colonization and/or infection with organisms harboring ESBLs include admission to an intensive care unit, recent surgery, instrumentation, prolonged hospital stay and antibiotic exposure, especially to extended-spectrum beta-lactam antibiotics (15). Use of extended-spectrum antibiotics exerts a selective pressure for emergence of ESBL producing GNRs. The resistance plasmids can then be transferred to other bacteria, not necessarily of the same species, conferring resistance to them.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

No, I am so sorry, this is the uti I have been trying to fight the last 5 years. Here we say it is a hopital infection and the only thing working for me is 14 days of Invanz(ertapenem) IV in the hospital. Then I have been ok for maybe 4-6 month after and then it is back again. And it is contagious through air so they put me in isolation. But nobody close to me has got it yet.

I am on Nitrofuradantin prophylatic and has been for six month and it is keeping it away, but every time I stop, it is coming back after two weeks. The urologists I have been with say that if I can stay away from antibiotics for 1,5 year it will disappear, I have tried but I get too sick and ends up in the hospital and it has given me sepsis twice because I was waiting so long.

I really don't know what to say who can help, if I find a solution I'll tell you. I have tried so many things, I even have a long thread about it in Women only. But I have had trouble with UTI for at least 35 years and let us hope you are more lucky than me Anyway, I have tried Vetericyn but it is not working.
    TH 12, 43 years post

There are many theories regarding resistant bacteria. sometimes it is a recurring organism that mutates and no longer working for antibiotics it used to, other times, not afully cleared organisms and other times it is an organism that occurred for the first time and is resistant. There are no longer hospital acquired organisms that aren't out in the community also.
    Wash your hands all the time and use hand sanitizer.Clean surfaces and clothes and equipment and personal belongings with a good wipe down daily. But some of these organisms can live on surfaces for days.

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    And it's such rotten timing.

The only oral drug susceptible is 'Nitrofurantoin <=16 susceptible'
    I am on day 4 out of 7 of treatment and it doesnt seem to be working. My urine is clear but I'm feeling the urge to pee sooner then usual. I started taking a high dose vitamin d at the same time so I googled and found that it can cause an increased urge. Also Mayo clinic said it could increase the chance of getting a uti but many other sites say the opposite including a study . Who do I believe?

Also is this saying I could've gotten this bacteria solely by taking antibiotics previously? I have a couple times this year. I havent cathed in a hospital lately altho I did in a public bathroom.
    You've been around here for a long time and by now you must have seen/read the posts about Vetericyn. Re-read the posts, give it some thought, and maybe try Vetericyn. What do you have to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    No, I am so sorry, this is the uti I have been trying to fight the last 5 years. Here we say it is a hopital infection and the only thing working for me is 14 days of Invanz(ertapenem) IV in the hospital. Then I have been ok for maybe 4-6 month after and then it is back again. And it is contagious through air so they put me in isolation. But nobody close to me has got it yet.

I am on Nitrofuradantin prophylatic and has been for six month and it is keeping it away, but every time I stop, it is coming back after two weeks. The urologists I have been with say that if I can stay away from antibiotics for 1,5 year it will disappear, I have tried but I get too sick and ends up in the hospital and it has given me sepsis twice because I was waiting so long.

I really don't know what to say who can help, if I find a solution I'll tell you. I have tried so many things, I even have a long thread about it in Women only. But I have had trouble with UTI for at least 35 years and let us hope you are more lucky than me Anyway, I have tried Vetericyn but it is not working.
    how often do you cath bente? I havent gotten that sick my symptoms are only dizziness and bladder spasms maybe because I dont go any longer than 5.5 hours and I drink 10+ glasses of water a day. I waslucky for about 26-27 years but now have uti prmblems almost continuously.

gjnl, I used vetericyn for awhile then it stopped working. but i will try it again now that i have this super bug.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Damn, I hope you mend, Nicole. I hate UTIs!

Nicole, maybe adding two METHENAMINE MANDELATE/SODIUM ACID PHOSPHATE (sorry caps cut n paste) will at least cut down the urge to pee? It does for me when I feel a uti coming on. You would know after one day, (two in morning, two at night) if it indeed helped or not at all.
    And the truth shall set you free.

What dose? this is the recommended for uti.
    Regular release: 100 mg( if normal weight) orally 4 times a day for 1 week or for at least 3 days after urine sterility is obtained
    Dual release: 100 mg orally twice a day for 7 days or three days after urine sterility is obtained.
    If recurrent with this same organisms might treat for 10 days. In a man, if worried about prostatitis or if you havekidney or bladder stones might need to treat longer.
    So you should have it tested on day 6 or so so you won't ave a gap in treatment if not cleared. That is one theory of how organisms get resistant also. Stopping and starting and incomplete eradication.
    Or go by your symptoms.
    We stay away from Macrobid if we can and don't give prophylactically because of the risk of pulmonary fibrosis. I am sure other meds will treat but they might have to be IM- ex: Amikacin and Gentamycin can be given in a IM daily dose( okay in thighs) based on your weight and if you haven't taken them before can do three days but if this is a resistant organism then would probably advise 7 days and you need to have normal renal function. I hope you aren't resistant to those.
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    I was lucky for about 26-27 years but now have uti problems almost continuously.
    ditto. I am now also prone to kidney stones.

No info to help you but I'll say a prayer for you. I hope you get rid of it soon Les!