Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why should I go back to work after an SCI?

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Almost post 25 years later I have a better quality of life and living ... drive new vehicles, retirement benefits, great job and a great employer to work for ...

Working gives you a better quality of life and structure in life too.
    Totally agree with ti.

The medical benefits and short/long term disability benefits I have - saved my life a number of times. My pension will be there when I need it and I have life insurance whereas I don't quality otherwise and I have lifetime drug/dental benefits. Dentistry costs a lot! I have a quad friend with a great settlement but after 23yrs, 2 houses, renovations, 3 vehicles and paying for many things for her family and just starting to show aging problems - medical costs are catching up to her (going to see if I can get some support hose for me under my benefits and give them to her to help - we're similar in size - I know that's not right but I have no moral problem with that little predicament as it costs her $120 per pair cash out of pocket and she needs them as edema has made an entrance into her life).

The social part of work and meeting new people honestly kept me sane (or as sane as I was going to be, lol). Gave me something to talk about with family, friends and potential partners. The work was interesting and kept me engaged and active. From my family and friends and co-workers, I really earned a lot of respect .. and that was important to me. I also gained confidence and pride in myself.

The best part was that I felt normal and like I was contributing to society. Can't find that anywhere else unless you're volunteering your arse off or raising a child (I assume)!

I know I'm just para and just a police/fire dispatcher .. but there are quads here with excellent jobs/careers that put me to shame so it can be done .. you just have to want it.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

lynnifer said it all quite succinctly. this from a c7 quad who worked, gave birth to and raised a kid alone (that is, me).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-MN View Post
    Roller88,

Make up your own mind, though here are a couple of things to think about, short term and long term.

- If you start working again, it is a one way decision unless you make an agreement with your ins company, you will not be able to go back on LTD under the original policy. Think long and hard about giving up that GUARANTEED income. Once given up, they will not give it back.
    i totally agree w/everything on this response except this. from experience, i can tell you i got back on an LTD plan after going back to work and even after changing employers. it was not up to ins co but up to my employer. employees, in my business (aerospace engineering) have no say (except through union, in my case) what the company's contract is w/ins. a fulltime (and sometimes part/time) employee cannot be denied benefits others get.

for past 15 yrs paid minimal amount from paycheck for LTD. It was well worth it since last 2 yrs i cannot work. ssdi also changes a lot w/earned quarters. before that, my LTD was company paid benefit. again, both were mandated for all employees. had nothing to do with collection of LTD in first 2 or 3 yrs post injury. i returned to work 13 months post at a few hours/wk. at 20/week, at northrop, i got full benefits back, company paid. when i went to boeing fulltime, full bens. LTD became employee paid few yrs later, then it was only 2-4 bucks/month.
    Last edited by cass; 11-21-2011 at 04:13 AM.

Cass,

I think we are talking about different things. I am not an expert on this, but if you claim LTD under one policy, start working again so that you are no longer collecting from the policy, I don't think you can change your mind and say 'oh, I changed my mind and I cannot work and want to start getting LTD again from that ORIGINAL policy'. Ins companies may have a trial period, but ...... Collecting LTD later on when employed by a different company for possibly a different reason or an increase in severity of the SCI is something else and what I think you are talking about.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Cass,

I think we are talking about different things. I am not an expert on this, but if you claim LTD under one policy, start working again so that you are no longer collecting from the policy, I don't think you can change your mind and say 'oh, I changed my mind and I cannot work and want to start getting LTD again from that ORIGINAL policy'. Ins companies may have a trial period, but ...... Collecting LTD later on when employed by a different company for possibly a different reason or an increase in severity of the SCI is something else and what I think you are talking about.
    actually, when i returned to work at northrop at 20 hrs/wk, i had full benefits, including LTD. again, this is all regulated by the company/ins contract, so it really doesn't apply to make general statements. perhaps i did not make it clear. i returned to work 13 months post at same company. was there for another 10 yrs with full bens before i accepted a job at different co.

and, btw, boeing doesn't offer full bens until 32 hrs/wk. yet again, another difference. this is why it's hard to address these issues. they vary company to company.
    Last edited by cass; 11-22-2011 at 12:27 AM.

I have to be back full time for six months to have STD/LTD reinstated but there is a rehab/back to work program inbetween. I would go back to full pay immediately whereas I'm seeing 75% for now.

The new employees don't get lifetime drug/dental which I think is wrong ... sure it costs now, but once the boomers are cleared out, my feeling is that it would all even out in the end. I have lifetime, thank goodness!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Cass,

No, you can do exactly that. After a period of time working, you can say, you know what, I really can't do this, and get your original LTD policy back. I specifically asked them that.

I was 52 and also have long term disablility that pays enough to bring me to 60% that will pay until I am 65. As I bought my long term disability through a union agreement my union pension is still being funded until I decide to draw it or until age 65. I started working mowing yards etc as a young boy and worked until my injury (not mowing yard). When people ask me if I miss working I think how stupid is that. I miss being able to work! All my adult life I was looking forward to retirement but I wanted to be able to enjoy it. Some things work out and some dont. But working I do not miss.