Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why should I go back to work after an SCI?

Keeps one from going crazy just sitting or laying around all day.

If you don't want to work...don't. Let someone who wants work and has motivation for it have the job.

And as an aside, nobody, even seniors, earns their full SS income, based non what they paid in, especially when you factor in medical costs.

Quality of life issue.

"If you are able to work you should work!" quoted by former US President Bill Clinton.

I got bored about 14 months post injury sitting home watching cable tv and Mtv. I was given a all expense paid college education.

Almost post 25 years later I have a better quality of life and living. I have a new accessible home I am moving in to, a beautiful wife, traveled the world, served on three advocacy boards, drive new vehicles, retirement benefits, great job and a great employer to work for. I have worked on "out of this world projects!"

As I said before, there are millions of dollars unspent for people with disabilities each year to go back to college and earn a degree. Once I get settle in my new residence I am going back to college and earn another degree!

Working gives you a better quality of life and structure in life too.

The choice is yours.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Here's another idea: start your own business. If your income covers your needs right now and you have medical coverage, this is a great time to try to turn a hobby into a business or find some unique service you can do based on what you already know since you don't need income up front and health care costs are covered. Downside is that you might not be able to get any outside capital if you need it, unless the friends and family can be convinced to pony up.

My husband is starting a recording studio; in our case, I'm working so I have health care coverage for our family including him. I don't know how people are supposed to be entrepreneurs with the limited and expensive individual health care we have now. Anyway, it keeps him active and all his musician buddies think it's cool. And he can't play drum set anymore, so this way he can express his musical talent. I doubt this endeavor will return any hefty profits, but it doesn't need to.
    AB wife of T8 complete para

Hi Belle, I'm curious why your husband can't play drums any longer. He's T8, and to my mind he should have the arm strength and balance to keep playing. Is there something I'm missing? I don't know that much about drum sets...
    Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    Here's another idea: start your own business. If your income covers your needs right now and you have medical coverage, this is a great time to try to turn a hobby into a business or find some unique service you can do based on what you already know since you don't need income up front and health care costs are covered. Downside is that you might not be able to get any outside capital if you need it, unless the friends and family can be convinced to pony up.

My husband is starting a recording studio; in our case, I'm working so I have health care coverage for our family including him. I don't know how people are supposed to be entrepreneurs with the limited and expensive individual health care we have now. Anyway, it keeps him active and all his musician buddies think it's cool. And he can't play drum set anymore, so this way he can express his musical talent. I doubt this endeavor will return any hefty profits, but it doesn't need to.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Hi Belle, I'm curious why your husband can't play drums any longer. He's T8, and to my mind he should have the arm strength and balance to keep playing. Is there something I'm missing? I don't know that much about drum sets...
    Kick pedal, high hat pedal.

D'oh! Thanks jschism.

I wonder if he could rig up hand controls for those, or would he be using his hands for drummin' at the same time he needed to use the pedals. Or pre-record the drum effects of the foot pedal stuff, if that's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    Kick pedal, high hat pedal.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    D'oh! Thanks jschism.

I wonder if he could rig up hand controls for those, or would he be using his hands for drummin' at the same time he needed to use the pedals. Or pre-record the drum effects of the foot pedal stuff, if that's possible.
    I use my elbow on my rock band drums.
    there's a guy that is a para and he designed a system using triggers to make a kick drum sound and had it attached to various cymbals and stuff, but that gets expensive quick doing that. He was a studio musician and probably had some endorsments to help get it done.
    I just got rid of my drumset after 3 years, I could lift my right leg enough to play a slow simple beat on kick drum, but got tired quickly, no good way to attatch any kind of hand control for kick, it would have to be electronic.

If you can drum with 1 arm and two feet, why not 2 arms and no feet?

Rick Allen
    http://youtu.be/au3qxv-FdY8

Travis Barker
    http://youtu.be/xk0i3D3kluU

Wheelchair Drummers
    http://youtu.be/6BcPEaKvazo
    http://youtu.be/Rf15h3PYGQw

Roller88,

Make up your own mind, though here are a couple of things to think about, short term and long term.

- If you start working again, it is a one way decision unless you make an agreement with your ins company, you will not be able to go back on LTD under the original policy. Think long and hard about giving up that GUARANTEED income. Once given up, they will not give it back.
    - Work can be a big part of your life/self image, but there are alternatives, volunteering, school, etc.
    - Do you think you have enough energy to work 40 hrs a week? Not everyone does.
    - Plan long term. Right now you need to be setting money aside in LONG TERM savings plans for when you reach age 67 (your normal retirement age). If you do not own your own house, start thinking about it. This could also provide a source of extra income if you can rent out a room be a source of amassing assets (assuming housing prices ever quit dropping) and may lower your housing costs long term.
    - Note that SSDI, and LTD are only interested in your EARNED INCOME. Interest, investment income, rent, and who knows what else are not considered. Keep this in mind.
    - Your LTD probably does not have a cost of living adjustment (COLA) that factors in inflation. A couple of years of 10% inflation will make your current LTD income much less valuable. You are 26 now, your retirement age is 67, that is 41 years that you have working against you.
    - Going to school is good, get a good 4 year degree that will be in demand and PAY. This could be a long term goal, or a 'backup plan' if for some reason your current sources of income are no longer sufficient and you NEED to go back to work. I think you mentioned going to school for finance. If so, you could be using this for getting a job, for volunteering, and or your own financial well being.
    - I cannot say it enough, don't be spending all your current income. With no real numbers to back it up, I would say you should be saving a minimum of 20% of your gross income, 30% would be much better. Being injured you are much more likely to require extra help/equipment that is going to $$ than the average person.
    - Avoid spending on large SCI specialized purchases, you will lose your a$$ on them. The exception may be on a house, if done right.
    - No matter what, keep your mind working, volunteering, school, learning new skills using online tutorials or whatever. I know/knew a guy who quit working before he was 40, by the time he was 50, he was like an old man mentally, I blame it on not keeping his mind active.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hope some of this helps, but like all advice, take it with a grain of salt/you get what you pay for. I am sure not everyone will agree with all I have suggested, but.....
    Last edited by Joe-MN; 11-21-2011 at 12:47 AM. Reason: a little editing.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.