Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why should I go back to work after an SCI?

It won't really matter when the long term disability ends, he will just pay that much less back as a spend down to qualify for medicaid. He has medicare with medicaid as secondary.
    This way he qualifies for a waiver plan where the aides and myself are paid for his care.
    That is what we live on because he is only left with a few hundred dollars a month.
    I don't work outside the home because he can't be alone and no health agency will accept him-then we lost our insurance when COBRA ran out.
    Each state seems to be a little different.
    I barely understand it and wish it wasn't like this and we were both working like before, but am grateful for the program he is on.

I think a better question is, why shouldn't you go back to work?

The only reason you're not working now is you're getting a handout from the government. The reason you went to work before your injury is because you weren't getting a handout. So if it wasn't for the government would you be working now? The definition of disability to me is, someone who can't work, not someone who chooses not to work.

It sure sounds like you have skills (or will have) to get you a good job and you have the physical ability to do so.

To say that it's a grind to go back to work and the stress and blah blah blah, well boo hoo!

It's a grind and hassle to go through my bowel program, to cath 4x times a day. So I can decide to soil myself and let someone clean me up, or I can do it myself, go out and do my job, make money, support myself and family and afford to play and do the things I like to do.

Don't assume most people on this board are on SS. I am not and have not been since I got my first job. And will not be until I absolutely have to.

For me it's personal satisfaction and pride. I know who I am, what I am, and at the end of the day I can look myself in the mirror and feel good about that.

I hope you figure it out. Taking time off for a bit until you do isn't a bad idea at all.

Good luck.

If the only reason you'd consider going back to work is the money, then you're right, you have no incentive to do it.

However, are there really no other valid reasons to work? Someone above me mentioned the concept of a 'government handout'. I've personally found that long periods of being dependent on others (family, friends, charity, the state), financially or otherwise, will inevitably chip away at my self-esteem. It definitely doesn't help when, as seems to be the case with you, this kind of dependence goes hand in hand with barely-masked contempt from people whose opinion you care about.

I find that there is a certain pride to be had from only spending what money I personally earned. Whether that pride is worth all the hassle to you is a question I can't answer. For me, the balance is radically skewed in favor of working, even if -- as is the case right now -- the only job I can get turns out to be something I regularly feel overqualified for, and which doesn't pay very well.

My disability is minor compared to that of most regulars here, so there is that. But then again, there are people like Lynnifer and Eileen and SCI55 and many, many others, for whom I am sure there careers have long been an integral part of their identity and a point of pride, and not just a somewhat inconvenient way to make money. It can be the same for you, if you let it.

as far as the money, good luck. i think you're missing some facts. i was injured at 30 from engineering job. frankly, my main goal was to get back to work despite c7 and pain. money wasn't a factor in my mind at that age. 25 yrs later, i see the benefits of returning to work.

and yeah, i had all that stuff you mentioned but i think you're misinformed re taxes, medicare cost and ltd. if money is all you're concerned about, better get a financial planner in the picture.

I don't view SSDI as a government handout, but at the same time at your age you would be well served to work IF you can, both from self-esteem etc standpoint and also from a long term financial standpoint. You are going to be stuck at making the money you are now for the rest of your life and as time passes that is not going to work well for you.

It wold be good, in my view, if we could have accessible health care insurance after we get hurt. For many, the inability to obtain health care insurance seems to be a big factor in deciding not to try to work. Also, the uncertainty in being able to retain (re-obtain) benefits if the effort to return to work is unsuccessful is a factor for many. I think many people would like to work but don't know whether they can really do it over the long haul.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I like your honesty Roller. I think every situation is different, depending on your level of disibility and what other factors your dealing with in your life. Don't worry about what people think. Do whats best for you.

I'm on disability through my job so I make 60% of what I used to make. I'll go ahead and tell you it only comes out to 1400 a month. I was told if I made more than 900 a month I'd have a huge deductible to get Medicaid. I get no ssdi or anything. So now I'm married and he's a teacher. Is it possible for me to get a caregiver? Medicaid? I do have a trust set up

I'd love to work again but I have so many complications that I'm not sure how reliable I'd be. Severe pain is bad but low blood pressure will keep you down

Hey Roller88, consider becoming a disability advocate in your community...fulltime. You could be someone's worst nightmare. Keep up on what your local government is doing, sign on to help with a candidate's campaign, hell, run for office yourself.

The full quote escapes me, but the essence is to get involved in politics as if your life depends on it....because it does.

I don't know about your situation but work is what keeps me sane and gives a purpose in life too. Getting out of the house and contributing to society with a decent wage is an addendum. i am a T11 complete and work full time. here i have no insurance, and living on GOV aid and care will reduce me to getting the cheapest care available and the quality of life of a beggar.

Quote Originally Posted by TheClrkstr View Post
    I think a better question is, why shouldn't you go back to work?

The only reason you're not working now is you're getting a handout from the government.
    It's not a handout if you worked and paid into the system. That would be the same as saying a retiree was taking a handout for collecting SS. That's why I paid premiums for private LTD too, in case I ever became disabled I would have a safety net.
    For me it's personal satisfaction and pride. I know who I am, what I am, and at the end of the day I can look myself in the mirror and feel good about that.
    If your placing your personal satisfaction and pride in a job, then you are ultimately going to be disappointed. I don't need a job to know who I am and what I am, and I too can look myself in the mirror at the end of the day and feel good about that. Someday in the future, I may seek employment, but right now I'm satisfied with not working. I have the luxury of that choice because I planned ahead for this scenario.