Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am I misinterpreting the latest geron newsletter?

Publicly owned corporations are about making money. They decided for now sci was a black hole and they pooled resources to develop their cancer drug.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    I am not surprised at all.
    At W2W I told the guy from Geron that I had the impression Geron it is not interested in curing SCI, they have just used SCI as it was the fastest way to prove hESC are safe. He didn't say no.. his face was telling me I was right... Here we go..

Keep in mind that Geron therapy at best was going to provide "some" functional return just in people with moderate contusion in acute SCI. They were not working on other complementary therapy to address the other kind of SCI.
    The company didn't have a chance to make money out of the OPCs therapy.

I still feel we have to thank them for what they did.

Paolo
    Paolo: Genron is keeping its agreement with those individuals who entered the study before it ended. Part of the trial included a set rehabilitation protocol. They were not "just moderate contusion injuries" as I know one of the patients and spoke with him as recently as yesterday. I believe that the patients are required to remain quiet for an agreed upon timeframe--thus only one patient has come forward.

I believe that initial safety has been demonstrated but the question of tumor growth remains over time. Besides thanking Genron, we should be thanking the individuals who enrolled in the study. Like all phase 1 participants, they took a leap of faith.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    Paolo: Genron is keeping its agreement with those individuals who entered the study before it ended. Part of the trial included a set rehabilitation protocol. They were not "just moderate contusion injuries" as I know one of the patients and spoke with him as recently as yesterday. I believe that the patients are required to remain quiet for an agreed upon timeframe--thus only one patient has come forward.

I believe that initial safety has been demonstrated but the question of tumor growth remains over time. Besides thanking Genron, we should be thanking the individuals who enrolled in the study. Like all phase 1 participants, they took a leap of faith.
    I agree with what you say especially that we have thank also all the individuals that enrolled in the study.

About the therapy I think that the animal studies have shown that the improvment was due mainly to a better remyelinations of axons who had not been "cut" by the injury. That is why I say the chances of improvment are "restricted" to patient with a moderate contusion.
    So if they enrolled a patient with an almost severed spinal cord it can be ok to prove safety, but, as I understand, it is unlikely to see any efficacy if the therapy works the way it worked in animals.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    Geron was not looking for function in phase I they were looking for safety data. That I believe will be born out. Had the trtial gone to phase II I believe the numbers of cells injected would have been increased in an effort to gain function.

I guess one can guess if any surgery after injury hurt "natural return". There are far too many variables for me to even hazard a guess on that one.
    That is why I say (some researchers told me that a few years ago BTW) we should focus more on chronic SCI to hopefully figure out also how to cure acute.

Acute SCI has too many variables and also they are constantly changing minute after minute.
    It's like a 4 dimentions moving target.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post

..... Of course one can always try to convince the researchers that their best shot is in is chronics. They apppear to believe it is not....
    We should not try to convince researchers to work on chronic, we have just to restrict founding to chronic SCI research.
    If they don't want to take the challenge they are not the people we need.

First thing to do is stop donating to labs and SCI foundation that do not have a research progarm looking at chronic SCI.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    We should not try to convince researchers to work on chronic, we have just to restrict founding to chronic SCI research.
    If they don't want to take the challenge they are not the people we need.

First thing to do is stop donating to labs and SCI foundation that do not have a research progarm looking at chronic SCI.

Paolo

I agree, Paolo!
    Daniel