Thread: Paraffin Liquid for cathing, this stuff is amazing but...

Paraffin Liquid for cathing, this stuff is amazing but...

So, ive been here in china hanging out with christina_china, and she uses paraffin liquid to cath, so I tried it, and my god, this stuff is god sent. So easy to use, it's like water, and turns the cath into hydro, glides right in. Thing is, we don't use this stuff in the U.S (I dont think) and I question why that is. Is there some kind of health factor I should be concerned about? I have lube here but this stuff is FAR better and no where near as messy. You can even dip it once and use the cath again 4 hours later with it still being on it. (great for when you're out in about and have had a few beers and need to go again after 30 min)

Think it might be called mineral oil in the US. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

English paraffin = American kerosene!
    But this undoubtedly refers to another paraffin oil that's not the same thing: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_...28medicinal%29

ohhhhhh so it's basically baby oil? we were just talking about the similarities earlier. It actually feels like baby oil but doesn't smell like it. is using mineral oil bad? how come people don't use baby oil or minireal oil to cath? this stuff is simply amazing and straight forward, no mess no hassle no nothing. and glides better than anything ive ever tried including hydro caths. I highly recommend this stuff.

This wikpedia notation seems interesting:
    It is sometimes used as a lubricant in enema preparations, because most of the ingested material is excreted in the stool rather than being absorbed by the body.[14]
    It is also used on cooking utensils or to grease cookware and bakeware to prevent food from sticking.
    The use of food grade mineral oil is self-limiting because of its laxative effect

I seem to remember a couple of threads here on Care Cure Community in which members have asked what they could use as an alternative to the normal lubricant they use, if they are out of it. The use of baby oil and other oils has been discouraged because of the effect they have on the catheters, especially latex catheters.

All the best,
    GJ

I would not recommend the use of mineral oil (AKA liquid paraffin) for catheterization.

Water soluable lubricants (Surgilube, KY, Muco, etc.) are recommended because they are water soluable, and will not cause any ill effects on the mucosa. This allows them to wash out of the urethra with normal urine flow or mucous. They are also catheter friendly.

Mineral oil is commonly used to dissolve and rupture Foley catheter balloons that refuse to deflate upon removal. If you are using a latex catheter, the mineral oil can deteriorate the latex. The same would be true of condoms or other latex products you might be using. We also know that women who use petroleum based vaginal lubricants (such as Vasoline) have a higher rate of vaginal infections.

Mineral oil is also considered a class 1 carcinogen based on animal studies when used topically.

(KLD)

Interesting! I don't know what kind of cath I use. it's the one time disposable coloplast straight tip, is that made out of latex? and since it's one time use should I still avoid?

I will let her know as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Imight View Post
    Interesting! I don't know what kind of cath I use. it's the one time disposable coloplast straight tip, is that made out of latex? and since it's one time use should I still avoid?

I will let her know as well.
    I think your catheter is made of silicone and it probably wouldn't be subject to degeneration by the oils, but more to the point, as KLD indicated, the oil based lubricants can damage the mucosa in the urethra because they are not washed out by urine flow.

All the best,
    GJ

Got you, thanks everyone. Ah well back to messy lubricant ugh.