Thread: Do you need a booster pneumonia shot

Do you need a booster pneumonia shot

I went to the local convenience clinic the other day to get my flu shot and as it had been five years since my last pneumonia shot I asked to have another one. The nurse doing the shots said that I did not need a booster pneumonia shot as they more you have the less effective they are. As I had no comeback to her statement I said ok, but you know pneumonia is one of the leading causes of deaths in SCI patients. She said you will be fine. All I know is that for the last ten years I have not had one chest cold or anything else that would affect my lungs and I attribute that to the two pneumonia shots I have had one the first year I was injured and the second one five years later. So is the nurse correct about the effectiveness of the shot being compromised by having to many of them? Or is this just something she thought she might of have heard? Any information would be great

Thanks
    Nevada

The current recommended practice for people with SCI is to provide a Pneumovax shot as soon as the SCI occurs, and then repeat it once only, at age 60. There is no evidence that it needs to be given more often than that.

Flu shots should be given annually.

A nurse at a pharmacy clinic is likely not up-to-date on recommendations for immunizations given specific to the needs of persons with SCI.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The current recommended practice for people with SCI is to provide a Pneumovax shot as soon as the SCI occurs, and then repeat it once only, at age 60. There is no evidence that it needs to be given more often than that.

Flu shots should be given annually.

A nurse at a pharmacy clinic is likely not up-to-date on recommendations for immunizations given specific to the needs of persons with SCI.

(KLD)
    thank you!!
    LET A SMILE BE YOUR UMBRELLA

Thanks KLD for the information I will wait another five years until I hit the big 60 mark before I worry about getting another booster shot