Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On my Way

On my Way

Injured with fractured t12 a little over 3 months ago - told would be paralyzed - but already out of the back brace per surgeon and walking using a cane.
    Problem areas include moving right ankle, foot drop, very little strength in lower body, balance is very off, UTI's recurrent, bowel & bladder control.

Currently having extensive PT and biofeedback treatments, as well as continued exercises at home and prayers on top of more prayers - by myself and many others.

Does anyone have any positivity, words of encouragement, advice, stories to share that will make me more willing to endeavor this recovery??!

No words of advice except that it's still really early, so don't lose hope if it seems to be taking too long to see more return.

Congrats - it's always nice to hear about successful recoveries.

Congratulations!!!! Only 3 months post and your out of the back brace and walking with a cane. Truly a huge blessing.

The greatest amount of recovery comes in the first 18 months so your well on your way!!!! It took this amount of time for me to graduate from a wheel chair, walker, crutches, three point cane to a single cane.

My advice is: listen to your P.T's and trainers, work as hard as possible because the 18 months I spoke of will go by very fast and finally, ask as many questions as you can about muscle function and how they relate to various nerves.

Please know, recovery can come after the 18 moth period, but at a slower rate.

It took your 18 months for you to graduate from a wheel chair, walker, crutches, three point cane to a single cane, correct?
    Do you have any B&B problems?
    I'm wondering what I can do to see that get better...quicker!
    While at PT yesterday, we reviewed that I need to work on strength in my hips and calves....any tips??

Quote Originally Posted by LIP26 View Post
    It took your 18 months for you to graduate from a wheel chair, walker, crutches, three point cane to a single cane, correct?
    Do you have any B&B problems?
    I'm wondering what I can do to see that get better...quicker!
    While at PT yesterday, we reviewed that I need to work on strength in my hips and calves....any tips??
    Yes, I had B&B problems. I drank plenty of cranberry juice to help control my bladder better and smooth move tea to induce bowel movements.

Your PT/doctor can give you excercise instructions to strengthen /control as both share the same muscle.

Calves: Toe raises while in parallel bars or with some sort of assistance
    Hips: Probably the most difficult to target. My gym has a multi hip machine. At first I required assistance, now I can manage on my own.

I'm a little more than 18 months post injury now, and my strength, stamina and balance have greatly improved since three months post SCI. Keep up the hard work. Riding a bike seemed to help my stamina lots.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Hi LIP26,

My husband Earl fell 30 feet from a tree (he was a tree climber by profession) and had a T12 burst fracture with 70% spinal compression 7 months ago. He was flown to a trauma center, where they had him in surgery within 5 hours of the fall. The picture was very grim at first - the neurosurgeon who did his surgery had put on his operative notes that he didn't expect Earl to ever walk again. He was at rehab for 6 weeks, and has been doing outpatient rehab since then. He has had an amazing recovery. While at rehab he had gone from chair, to walker. He came home with the walker, and progressed to 4 prong canes, and now at 7 months post injury, walks with 2 afo braces and a cane. He is using the cane less and less in the house now, but always has to use it outside on uneven ground. His balance is not great, but better than it was in the beginning. He is fine if he's walking, but he can only stand for a few seconds before he has to take lots of little steps to keep his balance.
    He still has a lot of nubmness in his feet and the back of his legs all the way up to his waist, but he has normal feeling on the front of his legs. He has the B&B issues too. Was starting to urinate on his own, but urodynamics showed pressures too high, so he is now on ditropan so that he doesn't pee, and he caths. They are going to retest in March, and I am so in hopes that it will have improved and he will be able to urinate on his own. The bowel stuff has improved a lot. His recovery was rapid the first 4 months or so. At rehab he would have new things happen every day. He is still improving, but not at the same fast pace that it was in the beginning. Now the changes are more subtle.
    Overall we are thrilled with his recovery!! Especially when the dr's were so negative in the beginning. I guess they aren't really negative, but they don't want to give you false hope, so they don't tell you much of anything. As you probably experienced too, we had so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving!! I wish you the very best and continued recovery!!!! :-)

Missy

Quote Originally Posted by LIP26 View Post
    Injured with fractured t12 a little over 3 months ago - told would be paralyzed - but already out of the back brace per surgeon and walking using a cane.
    Problem areas include moving right ankle, foot drop, very little strength in lower body, balance is very off, UTI recurrent, bowel & bladder control.

Currently having extensive PT and biofeedback treatments, as well as continued exercises at home and prayers on top of more prayers - by myself and many others.

Does anyone have any positivity, words of encouragement, advice, stories to share that will make me more willing to endeavor this recovery??!
    If foot drop continues to be a problem; research and consider the Bioness L-300. I use this device and have had great success. The device is costly and many insurances don't cover. The alternative is a good AFO designed to help with ankle stabilization and foot clearance.

Ive considered the bioness but at an appt to be casted.for an AFO, I was.tested to see if tht device would work on me and I had no reaction to the stim.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

Hey there, can you get on a treadmill? I'll bet you can. That's one of the best things to strengthen everything from the waist down. See if you can try it in PT while there's someone there to help you. Try side stepping on a treadmill at a very slow pace. As you get stronger, set the incline up so you're side stepping up hill. Here's another, stand at a banister or counter on one leg. Lift the other leg out to the side and back. Try to control the motion.

Getting strong and staying strong is half the battle. Healing the nerves is the other half and, unfortunately, there's not much you can do about that except give it time.

I'm not sure there's anything that will speed up the process for you. It's a slow journey, but you're off to an incredible start. I went back to my hospital for a group therapy session not long ago and there was a man there walking really well with a cane. I told him that I admired his style and asked how long it took him to get there. Nine years. Seriously. After that, I stopped complaining, seeing that I could use a cane at nine months. I remind myself of that often.