Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I being sensitive? Feeling segregated.

Am I being sensitive? Feeling segregated.

My older daughter was in figure skating lessons for the last 4.5 years, she has quit taking lessons but now my younger daughter has started. So I've been part of the local figure skating club for years and will likely be for at least a couple more years. The arena is only accessible at one end of the bleacher/viewing area - it was pretty grim and basic accessibility at first (sitting in the aisle to watch etc) but there have been many recent upgrades such as a seperate wider viewing area for wheelers, door openers, bathroom upgrades etc.
    Yet all the parents who watch their kids skate sit at the other end of the arena, I have no idea why - other than the lack of ramping etc. it is identical.

I dunno why I'm posting this, I'm not gonna throw a fit until they sit with me - it just would have been nice to get to know the other parents, maybe make some friends.

On a plus side, they forgot to give me the raffle tickets we were supposed to sell. So at least I dont have to do that!
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

yes, sounds like the place is making changes as they can.
    if you don't want to be left out, get more involved.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

how anti social.

I have the same problem. At the basketball games I have to sit to the side or in a little cut out section. The people I know say hi and then keep going on down the bleachers or up high. I always sit alone.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    I have the same problem. At the basketball games I have to sit to the side or in a little cut out section. The people I know say hi and then keep going on down the bleachers or up high. I always sit alone.
    exactly, and in my case its not like I can see the kids less well - they practice at both ends of the rink.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

My 3 kids were all year round swimmers, and it was exactly the same for me. Annoying.

I tried really hard to get involved with the teams and the parents; at meets I ran the timing and scoring computer, but it was always a struggle to get to whatever goofy inaccessible place they set up timing and scoring. The icing on the cake was the pool/team that remodeled their timing and scoring area by building a loft only accessible by a ladder - because, you know, before the volunteers were too close to the pool and were irritated by occasionally getting wet. When I discovered what they'd done I had to run out to the parking lot so I wouldn't cry in front of other people.

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    yes, sounds like the place is making changes as they can.
    if you don't want to be left out, get more involved.
    It sounds like Emi has been involved, she would just like people to sit with her since the view is the same. Seems reasonable to me.

It seems so rude that none of the other parents can take the initiative to go and sit with her, i'd feel bad too.

I agree. Those other parents should feel ashamed of themselves. Your feelings are normal emi.
    Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    It seems so rude that none of the other parents can take the initiative to go and sit with her, i'd feel bad too.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    It sounds like Emi has been involved, she would just like people to sit with her since the view is the same. Seems reasonable to me.
    but do those people that ignore her sound like the kind she would want to hang around with, sometimes the chair has it's advantage
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan