Thread: New to site -- T11 SCI in 2009

New to site -- T11 SCI in 2009

Spinal infarct at T11 paralyzed legs almost 3 years ago; I gradually gained mobility until I could walk with a cane. But several months ago my right leg started to collapse while walking, to the point where I couldn't safely go any distance. After many inconclusive tests and theories, the reason seems to be either:
    1. I have a nerve impingement in my lumbar spine that has weakened the R quad. MRI does not detect problem but Xray shows definite scoliosis. Or
    2. I had been relying on spasticity to walk and now the muscles are relaxing. (I do take Baclofen but have reduced dosage.)

The condition got better when I visited Florida (different bed? regular use of pool?) but has now returned to its problematic level.

Has anyone experienced a setback like this? Needless to say, I'm frustrated.

Hello "Calligcat,"

Welcome to the Care Cure Community. I don't have any experience with your type of injury, but between the information in your post and your profile, if someone here has had a similar experience, I'm sure they will be sharing information with you very soon.

All the best,
    GJ

Welcome, Calligcat. Though my condition is different from yours, I know how frustrating it is to lose function and have periods of hope followed by disappointment. You'll find a lot of support and information here, and people willing to share their experiences. I feel sure that someone will be able to speak directly to your concerns.

The strong leg goes bad!

Hi, My injury was in 2006 , T2 to L-2 with spinal cord compression. I was able to get much of my leg motion with one leg and the other I lost the quad in my right leg and I could still move with crutches then finally worked into a cane. Nov. of last year my good leg started to numb up and made me more unstable. My back doctor make me do MRI, X-ray and Milogram to find out what was going on. We found my spinal cord was being pinched at the site of my original injury. When I went to get that fixed he found a screw he put in my rods from L-2 to T-2 he found a bad disc and replaced it and extended my rods into the lumbar area. Still recovering from that but I cannot say the feeling is coming back in my good leg. Don't be afraid to try you can never to get better if you dont try.

Thanks,
    T. Minard

Thanks, everyone. It's likely my problem is a pinched nerve, not at the injury level but in the lumbar spine where the scoliosis is. An osteopathic PT worked on me and the problem has eased, so I'm guardedly hopeful I can regain some ground.