Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Colours Wheelchair

When I shopped for my first chair (which is now only a year old) range of adjustability, quantity of adjustable features, reliability, and a flipback footrest were paramount to me. I considered Top End, Sunrise, Ki, Colours, and TiLite. I chose TiLite. I also like a continuous axle, the solid backrest release bar, and a frame with as few holes as possible. One Colours' attribute that turned me away was the need to change axle mounts to adjust seat height. Marketing's ubiquitous focus on bling was unattractive, too.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by COLOURS CSR View Post
    DaleB: When it comes to Marketing, what do you think colours should do to be Presentable to those who are a little Skeptic about our products??? Lets say for example: what would make you look This way again, To get your attention??

More class, less flash, perhaps? I don't really know. Colours seems to be a youth oriented brand, by design. Trade show booths covered in chrome and filled with attractive young women, etc. There is a market for that, to be sure. The would be Andrew Fotheringham's of the wheelchair world need 'cool' chairs just as much as anyone!

I respond most favorably to clean lines, simplicity, and understatement. As well as innovation. Parsimony is an important concept in my life, so my tastes in chairs (and marketing) tends to
    follow.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    More class, less flash, perhaps? I don't really know. Colours seems to be a youth oriented brand, by design. Trade show booths covered in chrome and filled with attractive young women, etc. There is a market for that, to be sure. The would be Andrew Fotheringham's of the wheelchair world need 'cool' chairs just as much as anyone!

I respond most favorably to clean lines, simplicity, and understatement. As well as innovation. Parsimony is an important concept in my life, so my tastes in chairs (and marketing) tends to
    follow.

For example, looking at the Zephyr on your website. A goth chick wearing a BDSM D-Ring slave collar chewing on a chain will never "sell me" a wheelchair, even as pretty as she is. I'm sure it'll attract someone to the brand, and that's all good, don't get me wrong, it's just not a branding strategy I can easily identify myself with.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    For example, looking at the Zephyr on your website. A goth chick wearing a BDSM D-Ring slave collar chewing on a chain will never "sell me" a wheelchair, even as pretty as she is. I'm sure it'll attract someone to the brand, and that's all good, don't get me wrong, it's just not a branding strategy I can easily identify myself with.

x2!!!
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Colours has succeeded in designing chairs that look both over-the-top and generic at the same time, which is quite a feat. They reek of cliché. Looking through their website Hooters comes to mind more than a product designed for people who take this stuff seriously. Their marketing design undercuts whatever innovations they may have developed. It certainly turns me off. I have accumulated a large folder of wheelchair related bookmarks in my browser. Tellingly, Colours is not among them.

Last edited by rdf; 11-14-2011 at 06:21 PM.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    That said, with the possible exception of the Zephyr (and barely at that), none of the Colours designs appeal to me in the slightest. I find Colours chairs way too busy looking, kind of like an over-the-top basketball sneaker. They never came up with a clean, classic design. Probably my age-related bias, but I think of Colours chairs as best suited for teenagers who feel the need to make a BOOM BOX statement. There's elegance in understatement, and that's not an idea that Colours has ever seemed to embrace. Just not their niche.
    I agree with Stephen totally. Colours as a company appeals to me very much. The chairs never have, I don't get them. It seems like Colours hasn't had a new chair in ten years and the original chairs didn't make sense to me. I must add, and of course this is crucial - I've never tried a Colours chair. Honestly, I've never gotten past the styles of the chairs.

I had a Top End Pro-T for nearly ten years, then went to a Tilite TR (in love with this chair, best I've ever had or used and I love the way it looks). In a few days I'm going to look at the Icon and it may be my next chair, don't know until I try it.

I love the Colours attitude, the Colours girls, it's all awesome but well let me tell you a story my dad who sold used cars, told me.

He said he once had a couple come in who couldn't stop talking about how great the last salesman they talked to was. He was terrific, the best. A good time. They told my father this while he sold them a car. I bought the Top End with no affection for the company. I bought the TR feeling really impressed by the Tilite designs and all I'd heard and seeing most of my friends own them. In all the years I've known about Colours chairs, gotten literature and spoke to John Box on the phone, I've never lusted for a Colours chair. I just don't get them. Maybe they're great but I've never felt excited by them. Could be I'm missing out but I can also add that I don't know if I've ever seen a Colours chair and I've seen a lot of chairs, being involved in disabled sports.

Good luck.

If this is a male that works at Colours near the entry door, I think I know who you are. In the same right, I am a "somewhat regular" visitor with a Widow who currently does NOT have a Colours everyday chair (you can see what my daily chair is in my siggy), but I am working on that as we speak.

With that said, all the Colours marketing tools are geared towards "lifestyle" and the lifestyles that are portrayed in all the marketing ads are EXTREME! You have (had?) Aaron, who did the first wheelchair backflip (and double backflip), Patrick, who is a quad surfer, Brianna who dances, Tiffany who is an actress, etc. What Colours is really lacking in their promotional materials is someone like myself who (while I am definitely extreme) is a college student, you are lacking the people who are single parents and need to keep up with their toddlers, the older population who likes more of the understated elegance, the newer injuries who are not ready for the chair to be seen and want it to be "invisible" (and definitely not bling-tastic), the little kids who want their chair to be an extension of their personality, you are lacking the 95% of the other population of wheelchair users who do not fit the extreme "lifestyle" that Colours spends so much time and money marketing to.

While I understand that the chairs that are most often seen are the "show" chairs, the majority of people who go to shows are not going to necessarily fit into the extreme lifestyle that Colours tends to market towards. Going to the Abilities Expo myself for the last 3 years I have noticed that the Colours booth is ALWAYS busy, but IDK if it is because Colours has Aaron, Patrick, Tiff, Bri, etc, or if it is because people are actually curious about the chair.

Being on this website for as long as I have now, I have unfortunately seen that Colours does not necessarily get the most sales from users here, people here tend to complain about the customer service received from Colours (although I have PERSONALLY seen it has improved DRASTICALLY since some of the recent restructuring...if you know WHO I am talking about).

I also think that the products that you are currently offering have been offered for YEARS with little or no changes. You will make a small change to an older product (aka no more "pork chop" on the Razorblade, it now has an adjustment more similar to the AeroZ by Ti). But I also see that the majority of the products that are offered on paper are fully adjustable and heavy, which for many of the users here is a big turn off. I would like to see Colours expand their product line and make improvements. Also, I see some overlap of products such as the Spazz and Spazz-G. While I know that the Spazz-G has the ability to "grow" width wise, in the standard adult population we don't really need to worry about horizontally growing out of our chairs if properly ordered (which I know is easier said than done). Also, by adding so many moving parts to the adjustable chairs, it adds more possible points for malfunction, wear and tear and breakage, leading to possible injury, having to replace parts more often, going through warranty to replace covered items, and sometimes replacing the chair as a whole before the "lifetime of the chair" is reached. As far as the Razorblade is concerned, I don't see why the Razorblade and the Shockblade could not keep the Razorblade name, but have the suspension as an option on the order form for the Razorblade, just as the option for front fork suspension is an option on the order form for many other chairs. Not only would this cut down on the cost of marketing (since now you are marketing for one product instead of two) but it allows you to make one BETTER product (spend more time testing it, demoing it, making sure that it functions as promised, etc) and a HAPPIER end user (now they get to spend less time scratching their head over what the differences are, what the cost difference is for x vs. y with this option vs. that option, etc) and look at the things that are really important (do I need suspension? No..ok move on...wheel choices...you get the idea).

Colours definitely has K5 chairs down to a science, and I can see making improvements and changes to the line of K5 chairs, but what I really see Colours lacking is a line of K9 chairs for the users who are not "extreme" (the ones who don't need their chair to withstand a double backflip (while I'm sure the chair might be able to), are not going to get the gold plated wheels and accessories, etc) but who know what they want in a chair and don't want to HAVE to have the adjustability that the K5 coding requires (some of the posters in this thread fit into that category perfectly). Also, it would be nice to see the show chairs in a variety of colors that Colours has to offer, not just polished aluminum with powder coated accessories, glance/Y-360/Spinner wheels, etc. The users here want to see what they are going to see THEM rolling around in on a daily basis. What they will be using when they roll into a business meeting, go out with friends for a cup of coffee or dinner and drinks, etc. Ernie carries around with him a whole ring full of paint colors (and there is one or more of them floating around the office too, I look at it all the time) and it would be nice to see more of the everyday colors showing up on the Colours booth at Exop. While lime green is nice (ala Ernies green and black chair), the gun metal silver that I have on my tennis chair is an awesome color too. While the Orange color that Big Daddy has on his Widow is a cool color for some people, I don't see many women wanting a bright orange everyday chair because it won't match too many things in my everyday wardrobe, etc.

Since Colours puts emphasis on Lifestyle, lets make Colours about EVERYONES lifestyle, and not just those lifestyles of the Colours Girls and Colours reps who are such outstanding people in their own right, but lets put the emphasis back on the fact that while we might be in a chair, we can roll into an executive business meeting and make a multi million dollar deal, we can be doctors, nurses, lawyers, administrative assistants, and stay at home parents. The Colours brand is not just for the people who are out there doing crazy things, Colours is for EVERYONE and no matter who you are, we have a chair that is right for you.

Sorry this was so long, but I started talking and couldn't stop. I have definitely come to love Colours as a company. The people are great, I think the chairs are great, and I can't wait to get my first everyday chair from Colours (fingers crossed for a Zephyr...just waiting on the final approval from my funding source).

Mandy
    So. Cal
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

colours begged my friend NOT to go around in his colours chr at abilities expo in so ca as it was falling apart. in fact, they gave him new one at expo only to accuse him of stealing as he went out the door. they took it back. i suggest you find better company.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    colours begged my friend NOT to go around in his colours chr at abilities expo in so ca as it was falling apart. in fact, they gave him new one at expo only to accuse him of stealing as he went out the door. they took it back. i suggest you find better company.
    OMG this is horiable!