Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L5 nerve root injury following a radiofrequency ablasion

One of the worst things about SCI is that it doesn't indemnify us against other conditions - yet it tends to put a period to the sentence for many doctors, and when that happens, they don't look elsewhere for answers. In that sense, it's good that the new neurologist wants to know more about your cardiac, c-spine and nerve conduction status. He might be able to spot something subtle in the test results, and put together a meaningful picture (or at least rule some issues out, definitively). So the best approach might be to have the tests the new neurologist is recommending, and go from there.

The possibility exists - and many of us here have experienced this, myself included - that a satisfactory explanation for specific symptoms might prove elusive (even in the face of a correct overall diagnosis), in which case you will need to deal with symptoms in a piecemeal manner, on the basis of self-observation, trial and error. It is maddening, but I find that it helps to take things one step at a time, and then one day at a time, without anticipating either the best or the worst. Easier said than done, I know!

I don't know why it's so important to me to know what exactly happened and why it did. Perhaps I'm focusing on the wrong thing. But at least I now have a go ahead to restart therapy and will be given a AFO brace so I can start gait training and possibly walk with a cane in the near future. Thanks for all the support

I understand why it's important to you to know what happened, and why. It's a big part of getting your mind around things so that you can move forward with confidence. If it's possible to arrive at those answers, you certainly deserve to know what they are! And if it isn't...well, at least you'll have tried.

Therapy and early gait training are so important. I'm very glad that you'll be getting an AFO, that will be a huge help.

L5 nerve root damage following a radiofrequency ablation

Going for a MRI of C Spine tomorrow.

Good. If anything is amiss there, I hope that it will be clearly visualized...also, that you won't have long to wait for the results.

I was measured for my brace yesterday and this week going back to cardiologist. They are still trying to rule out any other reason for venous insufficiency. I will wear a halter monitor for 24 hours to rule out any cardiac issues. I am very frustrated and to want to move past this diagnostic phase and get treatment. There has not been any improvement in range of motion at foot but I have increased strength in leg. Should I request further nerve testing? I had an EMG about a month out from injury.

Your doctors appear to be on top of things, which is really heartening - no pun intended. I was hoping they'd put you on a Holter monitor.

Since you have had some return of strength in your leg, it might be worthwhile at some point to see how a new EMG compares with the older one; but the proof's in the pudding - if you're getting stronger, you're headed in the right direction. Additional testing at this time might, or might not, be able to measure the subtle changes that are allowing you to move forward. In your shoes, I think that I'd make it clear to my doctors that I'd be open to retesting at any time they deem it appropriate, and see what they say.

Though you're understandably impatient with the diagnostic phase, in the future you will be glad to have gone through the whole process - you'll have records for comparison, and peace of mind about what is not the problem (even if what is can't be conclusively demonstrated). I think it is so important to eliminate doubt, insofar as that is possible.