Thread: night leg spasms...

night leg spasms...

any suggestions for strapping legs down loosely at night....my sons (23 yrs old C5/C6 3.5 yrs post) spasms are making it difficult for him to sleep and he feels that limiting the spasms somewhat may help...any words of wisdom?

Straping down spastic legs can be very dangerous. I have seen not only serious skin breakdown, but broken bones from this.

Proning (sleeping on the stomach) can be very helpful in managing spasms and spasticity at night, and can be done for anyone with any level of injury if positioned properly.

Many people take a higher dose of their spasticity medication (baclofen, tizanadine, etc.) at bedtime so that night spasms are not as much of a problem. Keep in mind that these meds help more with spasticity than they do spasms.

(KLD)

Is he having spasms or spasticity? My knowledge is muscle spasms, I do not have SCI. Does he take any meds for it? From being around forums and friends I know meds like baclofen or valium can be used for spasticity. Baclofen is a muscle relaxer I believe, while valium is a sedative.

I take the muscle relaxer Norflex and its great help for my chronic muscle spasms.

I'm sure you'll get much better advice from those familiar with your situation!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Straping down spastic legs can be very dangerous. I have seen not only serious skin breakdown, but broken bones from this.

Proning (sleeping on the stomach) can be very helpful in managing spasms and spasticity at night, and can be done for anyone with any level of injury if positioned properly.

Many people take a higher dose of their spasticity medication (baclofen, tizanadine, etc.) at bedtime so that night spasms are not as much of a problem. Keep in mind that these meds help more with spasticity than they do spasms.

(KLD)
    Yeah, strapping those hyper legs down sounds like a bad idea to me. I'd look into a medicinal solution before I'd try restraints.

My spasms only last a minute or so when I first get into/out of bed, but I have a friend who is able to control his spasms in bed with changing body position. Sometimes it takes him a while, but he says he is eventually able to figure out what position his bod is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    I don't have spasms during the day only when I lay down at night but I take flexeril and it seems to at least quiet them down enough to sleep I prolly could go up on the dose because it doesn't stop them but I am able to sleep at least.
    Just a thought, and SCI-Nurse probably knows a lot more than I do about this, but I know sitting in the chair all day shortens the muscles in the front of the hips, and then laying down in bed stretches 'em out. I can tell you that my spasms get worse when I have haven't done ROM in a long time.

I also experience bad spams at night, the only thing that helps is stretching or range of motion before going to bed. The best stretch is laying flat on my stomach, once i turn over my legs are still in the air. I don't turn over and go to sleep until my legs stretch enough and come down to the mattress.

I would echo that doing ROM at least twice a day may help some. Also, are you taking any medications for this? If so, I would contact your physician and see about adjusting either the dose at night or looking at the schedule in general. Some people take a small dose of valium at night to help with the spasticity - it acts in a different place in the nervous system than baclofen does. Might help. Proning (lying on your stomach) also helps.
    CKF

I had the exact same problem for a couple years after getting injured, also 23 years old C5/6. I did use a strap across my legs for a while that worked great. The only thing it works great for was keeping my legs from jumping off the bed or falling off the pillows that I had them on. I would not make the strap tight. The maddening part of the whole thing was the cause of the spasms. It was the pill I was taking to help me sleep. I'm drawing a blank right now. This was some pill I started taking in rehab to calm my mind at night. Sleeping pills did not do it. Turns out it was more anxiety or something. After rehab I would only take this pill here and there after a bad night's sleep or two. So the worse I slept and the more I kicked, the more I took this pill.

I find it really interesting about lying prone helping spasms. As I've said I don't have sci, but have issues with spasms. I'm a stomach sleeper, can't sleep on my back. When I'm super tired and start to drift asleep while watching (well, listening to) tv on my back I tend to get jerked awake repeatedly by spasms. As soon as I flip over and go to sleep for real, no more leg spasms. What is it about prone or supine that makes spasms better or worse?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.