Thread: Anyone else ice fish?

Anyone else ice fish?

Anyone like to ice fish? the open water is all disappearing in our neck of the woods and soon we will be able to start ice fishing.. We have trout, silver salmon, pike, perch, bass (large & small mouth) in our area....

I live on a lake and used to ice fish using amphibious ATV's. I have owned several MAX ATV's and one Argo. They are great for ice fishing - if you go through, you float. Transfers are not bad and with optional tracks they are unstoppable in snow. I used to transfer in garage and just drive out onto lake. I did have a setup for trailering that allowed me to load/unload ATV independently using optional winch. At age 67 I have developed a preference for staying as warm as possible in winter.

I did some recon on argo's online and started drooling!!! it has been years since i saw one they have come along way, we had one for hauling hose etc. for wildland fires years ago and it was always broken down but someone i worked with started talking about them this spring.. We have 3 snowmobiles mine has w/electric start and a frabil ice house once i get in I usually stay until the propane heat runs out!! we fish for salmon after dark with underwater lights very light biters and tender mouths makes it interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by fromnwmont View Post
    I did some recon on argo's online and started drooling!!! it has been years since i saw one they have come along way, we had one for hauling hose etc. for wildland fires years ago and it was always broken down but someone i worked with started talking about them this spring.. We have 3 snowmobiles mine has w/electric start and a frabil ice house once i get in I usually stay until the propane heat runs out!! we fish for salmon after dark with underwater lights very light biters and tender mouths makes it interesting...
    Sounds like the snowmobile works well for you. I had the 8 wheeled Argo and 2 6 wheeled Max's. Max's are cheaper and were more reliable than my Argo. If you contemplate tracks on MAX you get the smaller, standard tires to fit the tracks. I preferred the smaller tire/wheel because it made transfers easier. Good fishin!

I haven't been so fortunate, but my uncle (father's identical twin) did, in Greenland, about 1960, while working on radar as a civilian... I always liked the pic...

Brook trout?

Quote Originally Posted by a la carte View Post
    I haven't been so fortunate, but my uncle (father's identical twin) did, in Greenland, about 1960, while working on radar as a civilian... I always liked the pic...
    Great photo alright looks like a stringer of brook trout? There was a creek by our house i grew up fishing for brook trout good times...