Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda Element thoughts?

Honda Element thoughts?

So, my husband is super tired of his van. And it's about to kick the bucket needing a new transmission and the ramp door is broken. I found an element with less than 20K miles for $35K that has been modified by FMI out of Michigan.

I've researched and read the former posts but I would love to get opinions from anyone currently or recently owning one of these Modified Elements.

He's a para. The Element has a ramp and he would transfer into the drivers seat to drive. We would move over the mennox hand controls from his van.

Thoughts appreciated. It's an individual seller whose dad passed away. I don't want to rip him off but I certainly don't want a vehicle we will hate either.

Thanks

my $0.02: he should really try a non-modified (non-ramp) version.

why does he need a ramp if he's going to transfer?

Great point... a little worried about his shoulders- taking the chair apart and putting it back together. He IS a very young and capable guy... ugh. this is so hard...

Buy a Honda Odyssey, take the middle seat behind driver out. Never take a chair apart again. Just pull chair up and in right from driver seat. I do use a board to slide up on while getting in. In and out in a minute or so. Best vehicle purchase I ever made. Put the 13G you will save on a non-modified vehicle in the bank....

Quote Originally Posted by ging1218 View Post
    Great point... a little worried about his shoulders- taking the chair apart and putting it back together. He IS a very young and capable guy... ugh. this is so hard...
    taking a chair apart & putting it back together isn't going to hurt his shoulders any more than pushing all day will... well, it shouldn't... what kind of chair does he use?

I'd save your money & look for a car with a relatively level transfer.

It was announced in December 2010 that Honda is discontinuing the Element after the 2011 model year. Before buying one or the converted models, do your homework regarding ongoing parts and repair support.

All the best,
    GJ

So, my husband is super tired of his van. And it's about to kick the bucket needing a new transmission and the ramp door is broken. I found an element with less than 20K miles for $35K that has been modified by FMI out of Michigan.

I've researched and read the former posts but I would love to get opinions from anyone currently or recently owning one of these Modified Elements.

He's a para. The Element has a ramp and he would transfer into the drivers seat to drive. We would move over the mennox hand controls from his van.

Thoughts appreciated. It's an individual seller whose dad passed away. I don't want to rip him off but I certainly don't want a vehicle we will hate either.

Thanks
    Still have my full size AWD van for sale if he wants a newer van. Almost 70k miles asking 24k.
    Ride It Like You Stole It!

See. here's the deal. insurance (w/c) will pay for the vehicle to be modified and the winters where we live are horrible. So we can buy a regular vehicle or we can buy a regular vehicle and have them modify it. Or, they will pay some on a used one. He has had a town and country (love it) but it sucks the gas and it's a "mom mobile" (as he calls it). This Element has been modified by Freedom Motors and we've only had Braun before. Has ANYONE actually used Freedom Motors or especially had an FMI Element? That would be most helpful...

See. here's the deal. insurance (w/c) will pay for the vehicle to be modified and the winters where we live are horrible. So we can buy a regular vehicle or we can buy a regular vehicle and have them modify it. Or, they will pay some on a used one. He has had a town and country (love it) but it sucks the gas and it's a "mom mobile" (as he calls it). This Element has been modified by Freedom Motors and we've only had Braun before. Has ANYONE actually used Freedom Motors or especially had an FMI Element? That would be most helpful...
    Yeah mine is AWD so it's great in Winter and it is definitely not a "mom" van which is why I hate minivans also, but the gas is not great in the full size either. If you have interest PM me and I can send you pictures. I have no personal experience with the Element or the conversion, but I am friends with one of the installers at my mobility dealership who has been working on wheelchair modified vehicles for years and he said the conversion in those suck. Not really sure why he just said he would never recommend getting one. I don't like the box look so it would not be a vehicle I would want anyways but I've heard some able bodied people say they drive really well. Not sure how gas is on them. Good luck with your search.
    Ride It Like You Stole It!

got a friend with an element, he likes it alot, pretty good jump, just as much as my jimmy 4x4, but he does ok, which i do in my jimmy, but i dont miss jumping in and dismantling and loading the chair one bit, i like my mini van, i got a corvette, 4x4, harley, i got over the macho crap and its nice to just roll in, jump over in seat and go to 10 places in one day, instead of loading chair 25 times a day.......just saying...