Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long before I start feeling like eating again?

Thank you all for your responses.. I am taking cymbalta for depression/pain and have been ever since my son committed suicide a couple years ago, and although all days are not peaches n cream do not feel depressed i often hear "your attitude thru all this is amazing" I will look into the UTI since i have been having some "voiding" issues and noticed strong color and smell lately...I guess my taste buds are taking some R&R....

I had a lack of appetite for awhile. But thought that it was from the trauma to the body. Kind of like when someone looks at a gaping cut and loses there appatite. Well it came back after a couple of months
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

i lost my appetite for a few days thats about it, the food at RIC in Chicago wasnt half bad so i ate it
    also i take no pain meds or anything the only thing i have is a baclofen pump for the spasms it doesn't seem to mess with my appetite

Could be the meds

Quote Originally Posted by larry1975 View Post
    i lost my appetite for a few days thats about it, the food at RIC in Chicago wasnt half bad so i ate it
    also i take no pain meds or anything the only thing i have is a baclofen pump for the spasms it doesn't seem to mess with my appetite
    Perhaps it is the pain meds before my accident i was taking pain meds for peripheral neuropathy but not at the current level, I still have to remind myself to eat I forgot to eat yesterday until my wife got home from work and asked what I had for lunch... although i am in no danger of wasting away I am still 30# over optimal weight for my "height"

Medications and appetite

I lost my sense of taste post injury. Check your medications. I switched from Gapentin to Lyrica and regained my sense of taste among many other things.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Hunger is a brain function, primarily based on your brain's monitoring of blood glucose and other chemical levels, and does not come from the stomach or intestines, so loss of sensation is not related to that.

(KLD)
    Maybe the case but I have had no hunger pangs or a desire to eat since my injury 2 1/2 years ago. I have had various changes in my drugs regime over that time and nothing has changed.
    I can go for a few days with nothing apart from a bit of a bad temper (to be expected !!).
    Even seeing food, cakes or sweets on commercials or on retailers shelves seems to have no effect. Only thing I have had a urge for has been pretzels, go figure that one!

EC

I couldnt tell you how long, I have only had a normal appetite while taking birthcontrol pill since shortly after my accicent. within a month of stopping the pill, ke to a blood clot, the desire to eat is gone. it is so terrible, you get hungry in you belly but not in your mouth. you forget to eat.

I have wondered about depression, but Im not sad. I did see a comercial for a hamberger yesterday, and my roomie saw that and ran out and got me one, but after two bites of burger and two fries, I could'nt eat any more. I was heartbroken.

I do get some appetite if I get to be outside that day, but the window of hunger is small.

I believe this is a probem for people with cord injury even if the doctors do not because of my own stupid hunger hell and because of what I read from others here who have the same complaints, and not a single answere that is useful to solving the problem. I have mentioned this regularly over the years, and recently, the no hunger problem has gotten bad again.

it has been suggestd it is my pain patch. I considered that too so stopped for a year in 2004-2005, but it didnt help the appetite come back at all. in fact with the pain and the appetite problem I did get depressed.

I'd like to know how many here at carecure have problems being hungry?

do you get nausea?

does the smell of food make it worse?

do you force yourself to eat?

I recal within two weeks of taking 'the pill', I had cravings, and id wake up in the morning hungry. I gained way more weight than I wanted, but was so happy to be hungry in the morning and then again in the evening. now its gone, and trying to eat enough to feel well is about impossible.

so for those with no answere to this, im sorry. just try as hard as you can to get something in you every day. maybe soon they will find an answere for us, but probably not because no one believes there is a connection so they arnt gonna even look into the problem. and it is a problem too. imagine being hungry, feeling shakey, losing weight, hair, and getting things like scurvy and ricketts and wanting to eat so bad but you just cant. I think a study needs to be done about the possibility of a connection of sci and appetite.
    Last edited by jody; 11-28-2011 at 07:32 AM.

what if something about sci, interrupts the delicate balance of hormones and signals to the brain?

I know tons of depressed overweight folks. their depression doesnt cause them to lose weight or appetite. ..........man was I hungry in my the pill year. like I was before my accident. what about that pill would cause that?

im told by my doc, that they give progesteron to terminal patients and it gives them the desire to eat, but a person who is not failing, or in a terminal decline will not be giving that hormone. I guess though that something about progesteron is important to the numerous singnals and hormone releases and uptakes that control the feeling of hunger and the feeling of fullness.

it may be the brain, chemicals or whatever, but not the mind. I dont think this problem has anything at all to do with emotion or depression. not since my year cured by a tiny birthcontrol pill. stupid blood clot.

Jody; Mornings are worse for me my wife makes toast or muffins before she leaves for work i have to force myself to eat it, the taste and smell nauseate me who wants to eat something when there is no desire to eat? although they say depression is a chemical imbalance of sorts i also am certain i am not suffering from it other then eating my desire for everything else is still wide awake... I struggled with waiting until noon for lunch prior to injury, now i have to tell myself to eat something...

Edinburg: You are not alone for i crave hamburgers!! out of all of the commercials they are the only ones that have any effect on my pallet..

I has absolutely no desire to eat for the first month and a half after my injury. I lost 40lbs in the first couple weeks after my accident (I was 6'-2" and 200 and went down to 160). The only way my appetite came back was after coming home I found some food that I really wanted to eat (in my case it was home made chicken pot pie) and kept eating that for several days. After I finished that, I found that I had no problem eating more regularly. I wish you the best with your recovery and I hope you will find it easier to keep going when you start getting some more energy from eating.