Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long before I start feeling like eating again?

How long before I start feeling like eating again?

I was injured in Sept 2011 T11-T12 incomplete,at first i assumed it was the hospital food that made me not want to eat or desire to eat, but i have been home now for over a Month and other then craving a hamburger after seeing it on a commercial i have no desire to eat, no cravings... granted loosing some weight has not been a bad thing for me but i am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if the desire returns?

I didn't have an appetite for months, but now I wish I had a little less.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

SCI alone would not cause this in someone with paraplegia. Loss of appitite is often associated with depression though, so I think you should talk with your primary care provider about an evaluation for this, possible counseling, and possibly medication.

(KLD)

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    check meds for "loss of appetite" as a side effect

It has been almost three years for me and I still have to force myself to eat.

@KLD: I just assumed the because of my injury I don't get hunger pangs.. well because I don't. Is that wrong and do you think something else is going on?

wow! I cant imagine! I immediately had a appetite after injury even while in NICU but with all the meds I was on, everything i ate tasted terrible.

once I was into rehab, my appetitie came back full force and hasnt let down in over 18 years. sometimes I wish it would a little!

Hunger is a brain function, primarily based on your brain's monitoring of blood glucose and other chemical levels, and does not come from the stomach or intestines, so loss of sensation is not related to that.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fromnwmont View Post
    I was injured in Sept 2011 T11-T12 incomplete,at first i assumed it was the hospital food that made me not want to eat or desire to eat, but i have been home now for over a Month and other then craving a hamburger after seeing it on a commercial i have no desire to eat, no cravings... granted loosing some weight has not been a bad thing for me but i am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if the desire returns?
    If you have low blood pressure food can cause your pressure to drop even more. It could cause a loss of appetite.

A urinary tract infection (UTI) can drastically reduce the appetite.

My daughter's appetite came back full force after about four months. Since then, she has gained all the weight she lost when she was in rehab....which is good....she was losing too much. Two years later she still loves to eat. I really have to keep track of what she is eating because of she doesn't need to keep gaining. She is a teen and still growing so maybe that is part of it. On the other hand, I see other quads that have no appetite. One guy we know cannot finish a container of yogurt because he gets so full.
    He doesn't seem depressed but you never know.