Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New ventilators -- thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
    I would be wary of having your vent hooked up to your wheelchair batteries. You do not want them running out together!
    Good point Soliloquy. I'll find out more about that, but he said they don't play around with their client's batteries, that they ensure they are changed regularly. But I'll find out more.
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Our LTVs can hook up to the wheelchair battery with no problem, and also can be plugged in to a wall outlet if desired when stationary for a while (such as in an office or while watching TV). They can also plug into an accessory outlet for recharging when riding in your van. If you recharge your power chair battery daily, there should be no problem with the wheelchair battery running down even when running the vent as well, and even if it does, the vent will automatically cut onto it's own internal battery as a back-up.

(KLD)

Thank you KLD. Your affirmation makes me more comfortable in knowing that my wheelchair guy isn't doing something crazy.

I'll check to see if I can get a pair of LTV machines.

After many delays, it appears I'm having my LP-10s replaced with LTV950s tomorrow!

I previously came up with a checklist for the respiratory company of what I believe needs to be done in order to replace my ventilators. I hope I'm not missing anything significant.

See attached checklist if curious.

- Bill :-)

So I'm currently breathing with the assistance of an LTV950.

It's louder than my old LP-10s. It sounds like two things: a coffee machine percolating and also a bit like a jet engine, like you would hear if you lived near an airport.

For people with LTV950 experience, is it supposed to be that loud?

The good news is I'm breathing comfortably with it, but it's certainly more complicated than the LP-10s.

Thanks.

We had a LTV950 that started to sound like a plane waiting to take off.
    The DME acted like I was exaggerating until they came out and heard it themselves.
    I'm no expert on different types of vents, but it seems like when they trade them out to service we notice a slightly different pitch.
    Let me know what you find out Bill.

Thank you Linda for the reply.

I currently have two that sound like an airplane engine. But we aren't yet to the point where we have to keep them. My RT is going to try to bring a Trilogy ventilator out for me to try. She said it is definitely quieter and also has a single-limb vent circuit (the noise and double-limb vent circuit are my primary dislikes from trying this LTV950).

http://trilogy100.respironics.com/

I'll be trying out the Trilogy within the next month as well, and would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Roger that Soliloquy.

About wiring the vent to the wheelchair batteries... is it the main power (AC) that needs to be connected, or the external battery that should be wired to the wheelchair batteries?

They have separate cords and plugs, I'm told. I would think the main plug should be wired, but maybe the external battery is the correct choice.

I'm asking because I don't know. Thanks.

Ok, I like the Trilogy better thus far.

It's much quieter than the LTV, except for a ticking noise that sounds kinda like a moderately-loud clock, but it doesn't tick every second. So far I prefer the ticking noise to the industrial coffee maker noise of the LTV. Perhaps they added the ticking noise on purpose to let people know it's working, because otherwise it's very quiet.

I like the single-limb vent circuit much better, it's easier to work with and less stiff, which can be better for my trach stoma (less pressure on it). I'm using an active circuit currently and will try a passive circuit, but I have no idea what the difference is.

The machine itself seems much simpler than the LTV950. And the alarm is unusual sounding, but fairly pleasant (it shouldn't scare strangers if it goes off in a restaurant, but will alert whomever I'm with). The charging methods seem simpler than the LTV950 (apparently one regular cord plugs-in and charges both the internal and external batteries, plus powers the vent).

So far, the only "issue" is I'm having trouble initiating breaths, even though I'm on SIMV. But I just read the below article regarding Trilogy use and the guy specifically mentions having set the trigger sensitivity very low, which he likes because he typically has difficulty initiating breaths. So I'm guessing if we fix the setting, I should be able to initiate breaths much easier than now:

http://www.ventusers.org/edu/valnews...1feb11p1-3.pdf