Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New ventilators -- thoughts?

Interesting, Saskia, thanks for sharing.

I like your backpack-style carrier and thought Respironics would have something like that for their Trilogy. I was wrong, well, actually they do have a case, but it isn't designed to be attached to a wheelchair, and I don't think it has a spot for the circuit to attach (no hole in the case). I think I mentioned that above, so I'll quit rambling...
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

SCI_OTR,

I know this thread is a bit old, but did you successfully collaborate with Permobil to design a solution for Trilogy 100 ventilators?

The Permobil C500 standup chair that I originally tried to get, it wound up not working for me (because it would not tilt enough to allow me to do sufficient weightshifts/pressure reliefs independently) but I recently got a C300 delivered with a vent shelf. The vent shelf is not ideal for my circumstances, and we are looking into other options.

Thanks,
    Bill :-)

Bill sci_otr has not been on here in quite awhile since he found out all his old posts were lost after the supposed upgrade.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    Bill sci_otr has not been on here in quite awhile since he found out all his old posts were lost after the supposed upgrade.
    Thank you Smashms. I may have discovered a good alternative.

I did a Google search and found an ALS forum similar to CareCure, which had some users talking about strapping their Trilogy 100 ventilators to their wheelchairs, without using a vent tray or shelf. I didn't know how that was possible, because I didn't know that an "in use carry bag" existed.

But I discovered that Philips Respironics does indeed make one as an accessory. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to acquire one.

Great news bill. Good luck!
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

I have a Trilogy 100 vent and I use the carrying case on my chair. I attach the case by using ?S? hooks between the handle on the chair and the two grommets on the back of the case. I wrap a bungee cord around the case and hook it to the chair tie-downs to keep it from swinging around. Oddly, this configuration works pretty well.

I?m thinking of having either a nylon strap case or a metal case made specifically for the chair and vent. I'm sure it would be less expensive than what I've heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
    I have a Trilogy 100 vent and I use the carrying case on my chair. I attach the case by using ?S? hooks between the handle on the chair and the two grommets on the back of the case. I wrap a bungee cord around the case and hook it to the chair tie-downs to keep it from swinging around. Oddly, this configuration works pretty well.

I?m thinking of having either a nylon strap case or a metal case made specifically for the chair and vent. I'm sure it would be less expensive than what I've heard of.
    Thank you StarLord. Sorry for the delay, but somehow I did not see this reply when you sent it.

I recently got an in use carry bag from Respironics, and we attached it similarly to what you described above, except no bungee cord, or S-shaped hooks. We used two cable ties with each grommet (I'm not sure exactly what they attached to on my chair) and then strategically wrapped the shoulder strap around the push handles, just in case the cable ties were to break (they shouldn't, but it also gives the shoulder strap a place to go).

I like how it keeps the ventilator pretty snug to the lower back portion of my wheelchair, but it does shift a little bit when I tilt and/or recline. I can feel it shift behind me and the feeling is a tiny bit uncomfortable (like something begins to fall, but the safety strap catches it), but I know that it is secure, so... no worries. :-)

Hey Bill:

Glad you found a way to make it work. I use the "S" hooks because it's easier to out on and take off. I noticed the swinging as well. That's why I use the bungee cord.

Thank you StarLord.

I still notice the swinging/shifting also. Maybe we will try to fasten a bungee cord. If we don't figure out a way, I might ask you for a picture – just a heads up! But, my caregivers can be pretty clever, so I think we'll figure something out. Thanks.