Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New ventilators -- thoughts?

New ventilators -- thoughts?

Hi all,

My old LP-10 ventilators are no longer being serviced, and my local respiratory supply company is recommending that they be replaced with Newport HT70 ventilators. Here's a link:

http://www.ventilators.com/HT70.asp

I'm slightly concerned about the HT70 basically being a computer -- I'm wondering about their reliability?

I couldn't find any reviews via Google, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with them.

Thank you kindly.

Bill Miller
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Bill, we nearly always use the LTV 950. Fairly quiet, very dependable, and with a low profile fit on the back of your wheelchair. You can get a nice rolling stand for bedside use as well.

http://www.carefusion.com/medical-pr...s/ltv-950.aspx

(KLD)

Dave uses the LTV 950.

When my poor old Bear finally kicked it, I switched to a Legendair.

http://www.puritanbennett.com/prod/P...VEN&S2=&id=319

It was a pretty seamless switch, much less traumatic than I'd feared.

You may want to ask Joel (trainman on here) too. He has a pacer now, but used to have a vent and I believe still uses one at night.

I am also a user and a fan of the LTV series. I actually use the LTV 800, and have only had one problem with them over the past few years. I had one fail a couple years back but that was the only issue I ever had. I have never tried the Newport, but it looks nice.

Thank you all for the replies. I like the size and style of the LTV series, but the batteries "only" last 5 hours. I would much prefer longer battery life, without having to carry extra batteries. I was excited to learn that the HT70 battery lasts 10 hours. But it also has USB ports (yes, for connecting to a computer) and, well, computers crash. So I'm wondering how reliable the HT70 is.

Scaper1, the vent you have looks excellent, but it isn't sold in the U.S.

I have loved these old LP-10 vents, but they are finally out of service, and the newer LTV line is the 1100, 1150, and 1200 models (according to this link) so at this point, since I want these new vents to last and be serviced for a number of years to come, I'd be hesitant to get an older model.

So... I'm close to telling my supply company to go ahead and bring the HT70s, but I'm wondering what recourse I have if they are problematic. I would think they are quality products, and hopefully I won't have problems with them, but... God only knows.

I do know someone who has, and likes, an HT50 ventilator, but that's an older, non-computerized model also. But at least the company, Newport, has been around a while and has produced quality ventilators before.

Maybe I'll be the CareCure "guinea pig" and try the HT70s.

- Bill :-)

I haven't used an HT70, but I did try an older Newport model long enough to travel from Pennsylvania to New York. The airflow pattern seemed to be very similar to my usual PLV-100, which is to say I didn't find it similar to the LP-10. Afraid I can't comment on battery life of the one I used, but five hours is IMO ridiculously short. Of course, your settings will probably be different so your mileage may vary!

Ok, after nearly deciding to get the HT70s, I had a consult with the guy who will be ordering my new wheelchair. (I'm actually in my original chair, 14 years post injury.) He is really sharp and experienced.

He said he has had clients with LTV ventilators and he has basically added a simple plug-in that works with the wheelchair batteries. Consequently, instead of roughly 5 hours of vent battery life, they easily get 10 or more. That sounds good to me.

Plus, I really like the idea of the significantly smaller footprint that a backpack-style attached LTV vent offers. It would probably shorten my chair length by about 6 inches, especially if you consider the vent circuit would no longer come straight out of the back of my vent, but rather out of the side of the LTV machine.

Trainman says the newer LTV models that he's seen kids use at CHAMP Camp are a bit noisy, but I don't mind some noise (I actually use fans for additional room noise when sleeping or operating my computer by voice).

So now I'm leaning toward an LTV1100, since it looks a bit simpler than the LTV1150 or LTV1200 -- the fewer parts and features, the fewer things that can go wrong, correct?

I appreciate the input.

- Bill :-)

I would be wary of having your vent hooked up to your wheelchair batteries. You do not want them running out together!