Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why would a healthy 19 yr old have a stroke!

Question Why would a healthy 19 yr old have a stroke!

Well test have begun on my neice to try and find out why she had a stroke, she had been having headaches since july, had ct at er and shots but to no avail she was sent for mri and was called she had,had a stroke,recently to pin point when doc told her it was in a area that would affect her vision she remembered 2 days before mri she couldnt see out off her left eye when she got up that morning, but returned she wss feeling weak even before stroke and had numness in few fingers and toes but returned, she got minimum damage docs were amazed, but also said this was not small this was a good size on mri like a nickle or little bigger wow he said dhe survived what kills most ,hopefully we will know more when all test come back altho heart test were good cardiologist said we may never know, but hope we do when all reports come in from contrast ct and blood wrk, hopefully tomorrow hope she just is thick blooded or something no worse very scary, she is still having headaches is on aspiran until we can get answers if any.
    Last edited by Peacegirl_11; 11-09-2011 at 03:12 AM.

Has your niece been assessed for aneurysms? Ballooning and thinning of blood vessel walls can lead to ruptures and bleeding in the brain. My best friend in high school had a ruptured aneurysm, preceded by many of the same symptoms your niece had, especially headaches and visual problems - he seemed healthy as could be externally, but aneurysms are congenital deformities (like little "time bombs") of blood vessels that go undetected until they cause problems or are discovered in a diagnostic process.

I'm glad your niece sustained only minimal damage, and hope the doctors will soon be able to zero in on the source of the problem. If aneurysm is involved, surgical repair has very good outcomes nowadays. Of course, that might not be your niece's issue at all, but it's one of the first things I thought of in response to your question about how something so drastic could happen to a young, healthy person. Sounds like she's in good hands and I wish her a complete, robust recovery.

Thanks for info I hope they find source soon, u are right, and I will pass this along to my sister,she can put this on her question list, we still havent heard from test thst was done hope by tomorrow maybe thanks again

While not common, young people can have strokes. Often this is associated with a bleeding disorder or a congenital defect in the blood vessels in the central nervous system, and can be either an ischemic (not enough blood flow, such as due to a clot or AVM) or hemorrhagic (bleeding from the blood vessels into the brain) type of stroke. It is important that the cause be investigated as further strokes can occur unless the original cause is detected and treated (if possible).

One of our local rehab centers has a support group specifically for young stroke survivors. You can check with those resources and with your local Heart Association office to see if there is anything similar in her area.

(KLD)

I thought most of the young girls who get a stroke, get it from taking birthcontrol pills? Everytime I have been in the nevrologic department in the hospital, it is full of young girls who have got it from the pill.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I will pass all this to my sister sci-nurse,

W F Europe My first thought was birthcontrol, i actually lost a young client 17 years old like that by taking yaz birthcontrol, but my neice said she wasnt on the pill, doesnt drink, or do drugs as far as we know, she is in college, and works at a homehealth agency part time after classes, or when ever she wants to really, just praying there is a solution so they can help her and maybe fix, her older sister was 18 when she died she was 9 months pregnant with twins she was found dead 2-days before she was to have a section, of course babys we lost to, she had been to the doc with bad headache as well, coroner said she had a embolism, which that may have nothing to do with her but it sure does make you scared to loose her to, my sister is going to have her 12 yr old little sister cked because she is terrified of whats happening now and what happened to her oldest also, thank you all will update again soon i hope with answers we hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacegirl_11 View Post
    I will pass all this to my sister sci-nurse,

W F Europe My first thought was birthcontrol, i actually lost a young client 17 years old like that by taking yaz birthcontrol, but my neice said she wasnt on the pill, doesnt drink, or do drugs as far as we know, she is in college, and works at a homehealth agency part time after classes, or when ever she wants to really, just praying there is a solution so they can help her and maybe fix, her older sister was 18 when she died she was 9 months pregnant with twins she was found dead 2-days before she was to have a section, of course babys we lost to, she had been to the doc with bad headache as well, coroner said she had a embolism, which that may have nothing to do with her but it sure does make you scared to loose her to, my sister is going to have her 12 yr old little sister cked because she is terrified of whats happening now and what happened to her oldest also, thank you all will update again soon i hope with answers we hope.
    Peacegirl,

There is a standard workup for young people who have had strokes. Your niece should have gotten this workup. It includes ultrasound of the carotids and the heart (since these are the two most common sources of emboli to the brain), angiography (to rule out AVM or aneurysms), and a genetic screen to rule out genetic conditions that predispose to strokes. The latter is particularly relevant since she has a family history of stroke. I can go through the details but most good medical centers (with good cardiologists and neurologists) should have somebody who can do this and advise the family.

Wise.

Thanks wise heart tested ok havent heard from other test reports, said it maybe 2days I will update as soon as I know more. I dont know what all other test were but heart was the first blood wrk ct with contast. Peacegirl

Dr wise, all test came back okay,blood was fine ct with contrast ok so they still dont know why, but it was a big stroke atho minimum damage, she is still a little weak,and still having a headache, dr told her mom her migraine headaches could have caused it, still worried she could have another one before we know what is causing it, is it possible to just be unknown cause, are docs missing something, what would u suggest in this, if you dont mind,not sure if all test that could be done has been. She is on elavil, and aspirin continues, to work and goes to school. She has her youth on her side thats for sure. Thanks,peacegirl

I was searching Youtube and came across a person who had a massive stroke at the age of 18 and he played football.

If you would like to watch it here is the link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ui8x...wAhNCzzoa6SeET