View Poll Results: How difficut is it to get back behind the wheel?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pretty easy, it is like I never left

27 64.29%
  • Had a learning curve, but did it!

14 33.33%
  • Was very difficult, so opted not to

1 2.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting behind the wheel

getting behind the wheel

How many people are finding it easy to get back into driving?

very easy to me but thats been 18 years ago........only bad thing was my driving evaluation was in downtown Orlando on a Friday afternoon around 5 pm in one of the worst storms I have ever seen in my life.

I passed with flying colors

There was a bit of a learning curve, but not a big one. It took a long time to get everything finalized, that was frustrating. But it was the biggest thing to getting my life back.

Start the process right away, b/c in many states you need to be evaluated, trained and/or tested to drive w/ hand controls. And in my state, you can't get the hand controls until you pass. And there was a long wait to schedule the testing.

(Regulations are different in every state.)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I am a T8 like sjean and second what he said. It is not that hard, and I don't know about you but it drove me nuts being dependent on someone else to drive places. Took a couple weeks to get it so it was second nature and now I don't even think about it.

I went from a small car and to a big van with handcontrols, I don't know if it was the handcontrols or the van, but it took some lessons. I have a feeling it was the size of the car who bother me most.

If I should have bought the car myself, I would have chosen a different one that was easy to park in the streets, even the HC parking isn't long enough and I have the lift behind. So I am not using it very often, I was three years without a car and it was not any problem at all even if the buses and trams are inaccessible here.
    TH 12, 43 years post

adaptive driving was part of my rehab in 92 at Santa Clara. Never really gave it a second thought , but my instructor seemed a little nervous ! LOL Driving is one of the few times I feel just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by aliizsa View Post
    How many people are finding it easy to get back into driving?
    I don't have an SCI but I did just start driving again for the first time since I started using a chair 16 years ago. I was pretty excited the first time I did it, about six months ago. It did take me a few month to get used to it but now it feels like it did before. I haven't really had an disability related problems while driving but the car is an automatic, don't know how I'd do with a stick.

Learning to get the chair in and out of the car was hard. It was real tough. I asked advice here and watched videos on Youtube and finally I think I've got it down. Using advice I got from SCI-OTR about a year ago, I had already armored my frame in spots with ABS plastic and thank god I did. I'm finding spots where it's grinding down and it it wasn't the replaceable plastic there, it'd be the very expensive titanium frame.

I have too many friends with too many different disabilities who drive just fine to pre-judge who can and can't do it. I'm also very glad I knew how to drive before disability changed my life and I had my first "chair day" (the day I realized I no longer had a choice about using it - sucked).

It took awhile to get used to how fast everyone was going. Have more time then money so I set my cruse control to 52.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Thank you everyone for your thoughts! I greatly appreciate them.

Blog Entries
    My rehab included driving lessons, and the paperwork needed to get my new license in Massachusetts. By the second day of driving, I was pretty much comfortable with it in my mostly rural area. By the end of a month I was OK driving in New York City. I use my cruse control a lot.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury