View Poll Results: How difficut is it to get back behind the wheel?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pretty easy, it is like I never left

27 64.29%
  • Had a learning curve, but did it!

14 33.33%
  • Was very difficult, so opted not to

1 2.38%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: getting behind the wheel

I'd say the hardest thing about driving is what they don't teach you in rehab. They are bound and determined to tell you loading a chair in a car is the tough part...um. #1 Thing to remember.....LOOK WHERE YOUR FEET ARE AT ALL TIMES! Be damn sure they are not going to get stuck under your break. Other than that...buy a nicked up car...it's going to get screwed up in the paint...not that I really give a damn about that.

Go for it. It is quite easy.

I think I've logged about 300,000 miles since discharge (license renewed two days later) in Aug, 2000..

Let's Motor...Onward & Upward..

Chris

Hey, piece of cake. I got the hand controls on line, adapted them and practiced one afternoon, for about 10 min, around the block, then had a dr's apptmt the next day, and been driving eversince. Hunting fishing hell, i do it all. (actually haven't told licensing dept about it, been stopped a couple of times, all the officer said was, and you don't have plates? I've got the placard. Anyway, said nothing about having a regular license. Just gave me a ticket, and sent me on my way :-).

Does any one have a modified steering system? I cant get my arms to go all the way around for 1 revolution. Talked with one driving place and they said they would have to put like a saucer type steeering wheel in that sits flat plus an electronic type throttle and brake. Would like to hear from anybody that has something like this.

Sneaking behind the "wheel"

Quote Originally Posted by aliizsa View Post
    How many people are finding it easy to get back into driving?
    My wife has been doing all the driving since my injury and is struggling with the thought of me driving again so I crawled onto my riding mower which is totally hand controls while she was at work and "cruised" around the neighborhood it felt wonderful... yea not the smartest idea had i ran out of gas or?? but i had my cell phone.....

Quote Originally Posted by bulletc5 View Post
    Does any one have a modified steering system? I cant get my arms to go all the way around for 1 revolution. Talked with one driving place and they said they would have to put like a saucer type steeering wheel in that sits flat plus an electronic type throttle and brake. Would like to hear from anybody that has something like this.
    I am a C4-5 quad and right arm amputee. I use the EMC J-Series joystick control for gas/brake and steering. Check with these guys to find a dealer in your area. Guaranty you can drive if you want.

http://www.emc-digi.com/
    Brian

i never drove before my accident but i got my first car last year and learning to drive was a piece of cake! gl!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/