Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broken knee cap- what to do?

Sounds like everyone has given you excellent advice but just had to say, I thought I was reading my own post here.
    My husband has Multiple Sclerosis, and has been having stomach problems, found out they are gall stones, went to dr. to schedule surgery, left dr. went to get dinner, left the restraunt and he fell off the curb, fell out of his chair and broke his left femur right above the knee. All just 2 weeks before a deer hunt we had been planning for awhile. We went to the ER they said it wasn't broke, but ortho dr. looked at xrays next day and says yes its broke, bring him back. Get him back in there and they were like, crap, he's in a chair already, hmm....I am really condensing this story but ended up they put a foam splint that has 2 rods on the side of it to immobilize his leg, he has chair that has an seat elevator on it so I ended up putting a board inbetween the seat elevator with it raised slightly for a splint to help hold is leg out and up, I then put a pillow on the board and a couple of velcro straps wrapped around his leg and splint and pillow and board to help hold everything together. Hope you get the idea. Makes for interesting corners and loading in the van, but he did still get to make the hunting trip, didn't harvest anything but still had the time of his life. Gall bladder surgery is set for next week.
    Always wonder what it will be next....
    Hope you mend quickly!
    Oh yea and as for the transfers we have reverted back to using the ceiling lift or the hoyer lift instead of standing and transferring.

I'm a T12/L1 complete... broke my right knee 4 years ago. Just thought I'd throw in a couple things to keep in mind with your busted knee.
    -The docs gave me a brace and said to keep it straight. That meant I couldn't easily sleep on my side, and I ended up with a pressure sore on my sacrum from lying on my back too much. So I'd say be very mindful of your positioning and shifting while your in the brace.
    -Point number 2: the docs decided not to drain the fluid off my knee since I'm a para and couldn't feel the pain caused by the swelling. They thought my body would reabsorb the fluid. After 4 weeks there was still a lump in my knee. A doctor massaged it, and it released all that month old gunk into my bloodstream... that was a seriously unpleasant night.
    Best wishes gettin healed up.

Soooo... just got back from ortho doc, and was surprised by his recommendation: do nothing! No brace, no immobilizing, even took the ace wrap off and threw it away-said that keeping it on would increase chances of DVT. He did say that normally this would require surgery, as it is in 2 pieces, but that it would be to restore function on an AB..... He even said I could go hunting in 2 weeks!
    He said it will just heal on its own- to try and be careful transferring.

I am kinda in shock over his assessment- I couldn't be happier to do nothing and go back to my everyday activities, but this isn't my first rodeo, and I'm a bit skeptical. I am hoping that when I see the Physiatrist at Shepherd, he will confirm the ortho doc.

@Mutton- I'm wondering about the fluid, too. Hopefully it won't blow up again.

The swelling had gone down a lot, but I had wrapped it up, and laid on the the couch the past 24 hours.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
    ~Bob~

Quote Originally Posted by BobG603 View Post
    Soooo... just got back from ortho doc, and was surprised by his recommendation: do nothing! No brace, no immobilizing, even took the ace wrap off and threw it away-said that keeping it on would increase chances of DVT. He did say that normally this would require surgery, as it is in 2 pieces, but that it would be to restore function on an AB..... He even said I could go hunting in 2 weeks!
    He said it will just heal on its own- to try and be careful transferring.

I am kinda in shock over his assessment- I couldn't be happier to do nothing and go back to my everyday activities, but this isn't my first rodeo, and I'm a bit skeptical. I am hoping that when I see the Physiatrist at Shepherd, he will confirm the ortho doc.

@Mutton- I'm wondering about the fluid, too. Hopefully it won't blow up again.

The swelling had gone down a lot, but I had wrapped it up, and laid on the the couch the past 24 hours.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
    ~Bob~
    Hi Bob,
    I broke my kneecap when I fell in 2004. My OS immobilized my knee and had surgery the next day. He placed two pins in the kneecap along with a wire wrapping. Two months later he removed the pins and wire and no problem since.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne