Thread: Saddam could help us...

Saddam could help us...

I'm going to preface this message by stating that it is a lighthearted attempt at humor, which we all need from time to time. I'm not arguing politics or medicine...comparing Smallpox to SCI is worse than comparing apples to oranges, BUT:

Since our Presidential administration fears that Saddam and Iraq may resort to using the Smallpox virus against the United States, we are considering vaccinating for it - even though the vaccine may potentially kill some who are treated. If we could get Saddam to threaten the U.S. with spinal cord injuries maybe our government would appropriate the proper resources to cure us.

Just a thought.

Chris

cjo33,

Actually, your suggestion although intended to be humorous, is not that far from the truth. Spinal cord injury is a major complication of war. That is why you have organizations such as the Paralyzed Veterans of America. With the exception of spinal cord injury and amputations, most people recover physically from wounds of war. Every time there has been a major war with casualties and wounds, there has been a large increase in the number of spinal cord injuries. It is one of the reasons why the VA is one of the first organizations that provided care for people with spinal cord injury research.

This may also true of many terrorist actions in the U.S. I wish that somebody could track the statistics of spinal cord injury associated with terrorist actions in the United States. I believe that the Columbine High School massacre resulted in 5 spinal cord injuries. I don't know how many people had spinal cord injuries from the 9/11 but there were several spinal cord injuries in the Oklahoma City bombing.

Wise.

Saddam and SCI

I have shared this before, but the first sci patient I ever came in contact with was created directly by the actions of terrorism in Iraq. I think that war is a huge contributing factor. It would be interesting to see how many IMMIGRANT/REFUGEE SCI people there are as a result of all of this.

Mary

I am so far behind I think I am first....

I said it before I'll say it again...

This year the USA defense budge was increased by 38 billion dollars.
    If we could get our hands on 1 billion of that money it would sure help allot!

I think someone in the military or even the Vet ass. should lobby for the funds...who knows it might be something we could actually get?!

Dr. Wise do you know any one at the top of the PVA?
    Maybe you could contact them to try and get them to lobby for a one time infusion of cash courtesy of the defense budget...after all these people did fight for their country!

Violent crime causes a lot of SCI. How about a War on SCI, which can be won, instead of a War on Drugs, which can't?

Red, they elect new officials for the PVA all the time. I use to know the people on the board there but it has been 8 or more years. Wise.

Saddam

Had birthday recenly & I think if we write him collective greeting card where we would mention that he is last hope of mankind against american imperialism expansion & spinal cord injury he will give us couple mil

Seriously, this kind of thing happen to Mr.Zhirinovsky, Russian polititian who publicly supported Saddam in 90, and Sadaam gave him 15mil