Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40-year SCI anniversary 11/7/11

40-year SCI anniversary 11/7/11

I thought it would slip away unnoticed, but my old college football coach reminded me. I had an injury similar to Eric LeGrand of Rutgers, but a little lower down.

I am still pushing a manual chair and driving a Cadillac Eldorado with a Braun Chair Topper. The C500 Permobil is sitting in the garage, awaiting the transition to a van/power chair lifestyle, when it becomes necessary.

One regret is I failed miserably at relationships and dating and never got married. I'm 59; is there still time?

Sounds like you done good Peter. Forty years is a long time, I just hit 30 last May.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I think you're one of the unsung heroes on here Peter, if you're as modest about your achievements in real life it may be time to blow your own trumpet a little louder and attract some ladies!

Many congrats. on numero 40!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    I'm 59; is there still time?
    Plenty. I've seen your past posts and think you stand an excellent chance of attracting and keeping a lady around!

40yrs wow. I'm planning on switching to power at 30yrs - that's just under 4yrs away.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I seem to recall you rehabbed at IRM. I was there on 4th floor from 7/70 until 2/71. If you were at IRM I must have just missed you. As we used to say about the beloved alma mater, "Money talks, nobody walks."

You look good Peter. And yes, there is still enough time.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I seem to recall you rehabbed at IRM. I was there on 4th floor from 7/70 until 2/71. If you were at IRM I must have just missed you. "
    Are you referring to IRM in New York City? If so, than I was there from Sept 1978-June 1979. I just passed my 33rd year anniversary. I celebrated my 19th birthday in the I.C.U. at Nyack hospital.

Like you Peter, I also purchased a Permobil power chair this past yearand it mostly collects dust. I am guessing that I have used it maybe a total of 15 times. I don't own a van yet either but am considering purchasing one if I can afford the modifications.

All things considered, I think some of us old SCI folks have led some remarkable lives.

Now if they only knew what to do with our aging bodies.

Don't give up on having a long term relationship/marriage. Who knows what your future holds.

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    Are you referring to IRM in New York City? If so, than I was there from Sept 1978-June 1979. I just passed my 33rd year anniversary. I celebrated my 19th birthday in the I.C.U. at Nyack hospital.

Like you Peter, I also purchased a Permobil power chair this past yearand it mostly collects dust. I am guessing that I have used it maybe a total of 15 times. I don't own a van yet either but am considering purchasing one if I can afford the modifications.

All things considered, I think some of us old SCI folks have led some remarkable lives.

Now if they only knew what to do with our aging bodies.

Don't give up on having a long term relationship/marriage. Who knows what your future holds.
    Yup, IRM also called Rusk Institute. Did they still have the silly doll collection when you were there?

I haven't gone the pwr chair route yet but hardly transfer w/o board. While at IRM I dated 2 PT's from there but married a post polio chair user who still uses a manual chr but her Permobil is lurking in garage.

You are a handsome guy Peter, stay in the game the right woman is out there.

Way to go Peter. You are catching up with me fast! lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I was never at IRM, but I did meet Howard Rusk once at a fundraiser in Greenwich, CT.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement, folks.