Thread: Who knows of a real ADA hotel in D.C.?

Blog Entries

Who knows of a real ADA hotel in D.C.?

Looks like our family may go to D.C. over Christmas break. I have only traveled twice since my injury (4 years ago) but both hotels were not very accessible (like they told me on phone.) I know this is a big issue that has been talked about alot here. I would LOVE to know of a hotel that you know from having stayed there is truly ADA!..Don't really want to go through the hassle of calling around....
    Thanks!

Suggestions from wheelchair travel sites:
    http://thetravelingwheelchair.com/cr...gton-virginia/

http://www.disabledtravelers.com/blo...tions-capital/
    DisabilityGuide has a good general listing of accessible hotels in the D.C. area, which includes options in Maryland and Virginia. For real reviews by wheelchair users covering hotels, restaurants, and attractions, try The Traveling Wheelchair’s Washington D.C. page.

If you search this website, you may find some other suggestions in threads from our members.

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Suggestions from wheelchair travel sites:
    http://thetravelingwheelchair.com/cr...gton-virginia/

http://www.disabledtravelers.com/blo...tions-capital/
    DisabilityGuide has a good general listing of accessible hotels in the D.C. area, which includes options in Maryland and Virginia. For real reviews by wheelchair users covering hotels, restaurants, and attractions, try The Traveling Wheelchair’s Washington D.C. page.

If you search this website, you may find some other suggestions in threads from our members.

All the best,
    GJ

Thanks much!

I know that the PVA often uses the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Washington DC. It is also very handy to a Metro station.

(KLD)

I have stayed at the Washington Plaza. I had no issues, the shower was great. I do not remember if there was space under a bed for a lift or not.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    Looks like our family may go to D.C. over Christmas break. I have only traveled twice since my injury (4 years ago) but both hotels were not very accessible (like they told me on phone.) I know this is a big issue that has been talked about alot here. I would LOVE to know of a hotel that you know from having stayed there is truly ADA!..Don't really want to go through the hassle of calling around....
    Thanks!
    I have learned to say wheelchair room when I call, ADA means anything, like 3 foot high beds for elders, etc
    i specific wheelchair, etc
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries
    You know, I did say wheelchair when we went to Ashville and it still made no difference. I just don't trust the hotels, that's why I'm asking here.

It is not quite "in" DC, but in Alexandria, VA (just across the river) I stayed at The Westin and I felt it was completely accessible. It was a short push to the Metro station or they ran a van shuttle. The shuttle wasn't a ramp van, so it took a hefty transfer to get in, but it is still an option. The room was open enough to maneuver and it had a roll in shower with a built in (padded!) shower chair. It is also significantly cheaper than staying in downtown DC. I travel to DC quite a bit, so if you have any accessibility questions, please let me know.

Try using this map. There are ratings for a few hotels in Washington.

www.rickhansenglobalaccessibilitymap.com