Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Toddler in and out of Car Seat

Thanks for all the feedback. We're going to the Abilities Expo in San Jose in a few weeks and will check out some of the converted vehicles at that point. I'm leaning more towards the outback (or perhaps another car...we're planning on looking around a bit more), but I ultimately want to do what is going to be best for Jason, and if that's a van, we'll get a van.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Interesting. Are you saying get a van with a ramp, or just a van because with kids and a chair it is easier to have more room? A ramp just seems like more trouble than it is worth to me, but I have to admit I have never had a car that has one.
    "a wheelchair accessible Honda Element" is what she said, but I called it a van. I'm assuming it would have a ramp. It was just so much easier to get the kids in and out, especially during bad weather, with my van. And the additional room, as mentioned by Smirking1, when packing for trips or something is an added bonus.

Conduct a little test- Wait for a cold day, then spray a garden hose straight into the air over the subaru as your husband approaches, loads your child, then loads himself into it. Then do the same with a van if possible. Which one do you think he'd prefer? lol

I'm spoiled- I love my van for what it did for me and my kids when they were young. It enabled me to be a fully independent father of two (3 and 1) w/o adding additional hardships because of the SCI. As my kids aged I bought a car in addition to the van. We use the car most of the time, but if the weather is bad, or I want to take my power chair somewhere with them, I take the van. But, if I had to choose one vehicle to keep, it would definitely be the van. It may be worse on gas, but it's much more versatile.

(I don't care how "disabled" it makes me look- people figure that out as I roll my ass to the front door anyway ;-)
    Dave

With a four month old injury and a two year old child, this is no time for testing the bar on what he "might be able to handle." Get the van/element.

There are times to "go for it," and there are times to choose the path of least resistance. This instance is the latter.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by acleyba View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. We're going to the Abilities Expo in San Jose in a few weeks and will check out some of the converted vehicles at that point. I'm leaning more towards the outback (or perhaps another car...we're planning on looking around a bit more), but I ultimately want to do what is going to be best for Jason, and if that's a van, we'll get a van.
    I will be there are well! Want to check out the new Icon wheelchairs...

Quote Originally Posted by Herco16 View Post
    "a wheelchair accessible Honda Element" is what she said, but I called it a van. I'm assuming it would have a ramp. It was just so much easier to get the kids in and out, especially during bad weather, with my van. And the additional room, as mentioned by Smirking1, when packing for trips or something is an added bonus.

Conduct a little test- Wait for a cold day, then spray a garden hose straight into the air over the subaru as your husband approaches, loads your child, then loads himself into it. Then do the same with a van if possible. Which one do you think he'd prefer? lol

I'm spoiled- I love my van for what it did for me and my kids when they were young. It enabled me to be a fully independent father of two (3 and 1) w/o adding additional hardships because of the SCI. As my kids aged I bought a car in addition to the van. We use the car most of the time, but if the weather is bad, or I want to take my power chair somewhere with them, I take the van. But, if I had to choose one vehicle to keep, it would definitely be the van. It may be worse on gas, but it's much more versatile.

(I don't care how "disabled" it makes me look- people figure that out as I roll my ass to the front door anyway ;-)
    Yah, I am not worried about looking disabled either. Like you say the wheelchair gives that away anyway. My "family" car is a GMC Yukon with a bruno lift and I just worry that a ramp limits where you can park. It would be nice to be able to borrow a car with a ramp just to try it out, it is a lot of money to spend if it isn't needed or even makes life more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Yah, I am not worried about looking disabled either. Like you say the wheelchair gives that away anyway. My "family" car is a GMC Yukon with a bruno lift and I just worry that a ramp limits where you can park. It would be nice to be able to borrow a car with a ramp just to try it out, it is a lot of money to spend if it isn't needed or even makes life more complicated.
    I hear ya'. Parking is a P.I.T.A. no matter what. If there are no handicapped spaces, when I arrive somewhere in the van, I just park at an angle across two spaces. I haven't been parked in yet doing that. I think people recognize the van// lift etc and figure it out. If I try that in the car (because I need my door open ALL the way to get my chair out) someone thinks I'm a pompous ass for taking two spots and parks right next to me anyway...... we can't win. lol
    Dave

I love this http://www.maxicosiaxiss.co.uk/ but not sure its availiable in North America
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2 View Post
    I love this http://www.maxicosiaxiss.co.uk/ but not sure its availiable in North America
    Oooh....I hadn't thought about a carseat that rotates. We don't have that particular brand here in the US, but I did find another (Orbit Baby Toddler seat) that might work. Always good to have lots of options

Keep in mind that this is a short term problem as well. I was AB when mine were small, but had a period of time when one of mine was 18 months when I couldn't lift. He learned very quickly to climb in and out for me. The bad side of it, was there was no way I could get a sleeping child into the house with out waking him.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I would go with the ramp. I started off with a car and I love having my van with a ramp. Makes traveling so much easier. I take care of my 2 year old niece and I can get her in out of her seat very easily. There's enough room for me to turn however I need to. But she's pretty good at making things easy for her aunty.