Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Toddler in and out of Car Seat

Getting Toddler in and out of Car Seat

Hi all,

My husband is a newly injured T4 and we are beginning to research new options for transportation. We are torn between the Subaru Outback and a wheelchair accessible Honda Element. The main area of concern for my husband in regards to the Outback is whether or not he'd be able to get our 20 month old daughter in and out of her carseat on his own. Prior to the accident, he was responsible for daycare drop off and pick up, and he'd like to return to that at some point. What are your thoughts? Any experience one way or the other?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by acleyba View Post
    Hi all,

My husband is a newly injured T4 and we are beginning to research new options for transportation. We are torn between the Subaru Outback and a wheelchair accessible Honda Element. The main area of concern for my husband in regards to the Outback is whether or not he'd be able to get our 20 month old daughter in and out of her carseat on his own. Prior to the accident, he was responsible for daycare drop off and pick up, and he'd like to return to that at some point. What are your thoughts? Any experience one way or the other?

Thanks!
    Well for what it is worth I am a T8 and have no problems with things like getting a kid in and out of a car seat. You don't say how newly injured but in the early stages of being injured a lot of things seem impossible that turn out to be doable once you get adjusted to being in a chair. I would go for the Outback, a para doesn't need a wheelchair accessible car (I have a mini cooper)

He's about 4 months post-injury, so still quite new. He's got a good amount of sensory and motor control below the level of injury (motor to hip flexors, sensation to waist or so), so I think he could handle it. Our daughter, though, is not always the most cooperative when it comes to getting in her car seat...I think that worries him more than anything else. It's good to know that it's not an unreasonable thing for him to aspire to do. We're not planning on buying the new car for another 4 months or so, so he should be even stronger by then.

He's about 4 months post-injury, so still quite new. He's got a good amount of sensory and motor control below the level of injury (motor to hip flexors, sensation to waist or so), so I think he could handle it. Our daughter, though, is not always the most cooperative when it comes to getting in her car seat...I think that worries him more than anything else. It's good to know that it's not an unreasonable thing for him to aspire to do. We're not planning on buying the new car for another 4 months or so, so he should be even stronger by then.
    Oh, he will be fine. Four months is still really new to all this. I am complete and don't have any problems, and trust me my kid is a handful!

Get the van. although a station wagon is "doable", a van makes it much easier on everyone. There will be many difficult hurdles in your future- why no eliminate those you can? If you live in a cold/wet environment, it is a pain to load a child and yourself in a car during a freezing rain.

As a father of two, trust me. My youngest was three months old at the time of my accident, and upgrading to a van from my Honda CRV made it so much easier to get my daughters out and about completely independently.

Dave
    Dave

agree with hurco. get the van. i am a t-12. we have an old chevy venture with the middle seats removed. twin girls that are almost 4 now.. plenty of room for me to transfer in and roll around and not lose the chair. just like anything else wheelchair involved, the more real estate you have the better.

She'll get it. Bribing works. My "kids" learned quick to assist. We are down to one booster seat, yikes I'm getting old!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by smirking1 View Post
    agree with hurco. get the van. i am a t-12. we have an old chevy venture with the middle seats removed. twin girls that are almost 4 now.. plenty of room for me to transfer in and roll around and not lose the chair. just like anything else wheelchair involved, the more real estate you have the better.
    Interesting. Are you saying get a van with a ramp, or just a van because with kids and a chair it is easier to have more room? A ramp just seems like more trouble than it is worth to me, but I have to admit I have never had a car that has one.

I have a Outback, I'm a L4/L5 about 16 months post op. Outback's and Foresters are awesome vechicles but not alot of extra room after the carseat. We put the childseat in the middle and reaching in to undo the belts is a little difficult at times. I find after an hour of driving my back starts to ache pretty good. I think it's because of the seat, with all the adjustments it still kinda at the wrong angle. I would check out the Forester, easier to get into. Herco16 may be right, a van might be a better buy.