Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want to cath

I want to cath

Do any quads here (who have no feeling) cath themselves? I hate my SP. I want metro but the doc suggests I wait till after I have a child if I plan to get pregnant

I know a very few women with C7 injuries who cath themselves, but none at C6 or higher. It is very difficult with neither perineal or hand sensation.

You may want to get another opinion related to the Mitrofanoff. Many urologists and OB/GYNs feel it is fine to have a pregnancy and delivery after these are placed, but recommend that a knowledgeable urologist also attend the birth, esp. if an emergency C-section must be done.

(KLD)

I'm a c6 complete with a Mith and augment since '96. Completely independent in this area. My stoma is in my belly button.

A good uro/gyno can guide you in the decision.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

i used to cath myself and that was very difficult if i had to pee while out in public. honestly, research/talk to women who have had the mitro done(i have and it's the best decision i made for myself!) and got pregnant(not me lol). i know it is possible, just need some more monitoring. the mitro has definitely freed me and now i can even pee while in my car(haha loads of hand sanitzer!) and not worry about if a bathroom is available
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Im a c6 complete and I did the whole self cathing thing and hated it the cathing part wasnt hard but having to plan your life around it was hard I missed out on going out alot. I just had the mitro a month ago and it is awsome soooo easy.

Nurse, can you think of an particular medical issues with getting the mitro first? He doesn't go into just that's really not a good idea. Have you're baby first. I want mitro NOW. Not a baby now. Well I o, but I'm so scared about getting off pain meds and maybe having worse spasticity

I had my second child after my mitro, however it wasn't until after I had it h revised that I was able to get pregnant as adhesion affected my fertility. My pregnancy itself was uneventful except for having to revert to indwelling for the last few monthhs
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Quote Originally Posted by ECUrach85 View Post
    Nurse, can you think of an particular medical issues with getting the mitro first? He doesn't go into just that's really not a good idea. Have you're baby first. I want mitro NOW. Not a baby now. Well I o, but I'm so scared about getting off pain meds and maybe having worse spasticity
    Surgeons who are expert in this procedure are confident in doing them in women who have not yet had their children. Suggest you seek out a different surgeon.

KLD

I was injured almost 48 years ago. I am a C5/C6 quad. There were no rehab facilities in my state, but in the hospital I was taught to push on my bladder to urinate. I could do this in my chair with a fracture pan. That worked for 28 plus years, then I was sent to a urologist for a pre-op exam for a hysterectomy. I was told that I was retaining too much urine and was taught to self cath. I would transfer to a toilet, lift my legs up onto my chair, put the soles of my shoes together, place a mirror against my shoes and drain the urine into a bag that I hooked on my brake. I could also swing forward enough to do the same in my chair with straps I made to hold my legs up into place. I would drain into a disposable diaper. (When you can't feel you have to be able to see where to insert the catheter.)

I realize that you have to have arm strength to do this and at least one hand that functions fairly well.

Mother to 45 yr. old, 43 yr. old and 36 yr. old, grandmother to 9.
    Last edited by 47+years; 11-08-2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Add info

i agree. find a new urologist. i am assuming that a mitro is the same as bladder augmentation surgery (where you pee out of a stoma on your abdomin)? if so, it was absolutely the best decision i have ever made. recovery was very rough but once recovered it has been absolutely amazing to be leg bag free. i had an indwelling cath for 15 years and was forced to make a change since they were no longer holding. i know my surgery was longer than most because my uro knew i was young enough (30) that i might want to get pregnant some day and wanted to make sure i could without any issues. my surgery was almost 9 years ago and successfully held up through my twin pregnancy 4 years ago. both my boys were breech and were staying put so my mfm wanted my c section scheduled because he was concerned about doing the c in an emergency situation. my mfm consulted with my uro prior to the c and we had a uro on call at the hospital i was delivering at in case something went wrong. the biggest tip, put a catheter in prior to a c so the docs can see where it is. good luck finding a new uro. this trully was a real changer in the quality of my life and how i felt about myself.