Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combining Schwann cell bridges and olfactory-ensheathing glia grafts with chondroitin

Combining Schwann cell bridges and olfactory-ensheathing glia grafts with chondroitin

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15689553

I wonder is any group trying this seemingly powerful combination therapy?

Christopher when this enzyme is being used in research for years then i can not understand why not been included yet in any trials anywhere?

Money - how they can make the most profit from this.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Lynnifer this is so sad news that for money purpose they are playing with the emotions of millions of patients around the world. Shame on making money in such way.

Dont know where organizations are and where is advocacy?

No pressure from anyside for starting trials and such therapies.

really? Money?... How?.... How is anyone making money on chondroitinase by not using it or holding it back? Please explain
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Angry greed sux

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Money - how they can make the most profit from this.
    i am old enough to remember when we lived with the fear of death by nuclear war. while we still have nucs today its the financial greed thats killing allot of people.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

This is a perfect example of how tough translation is and how it is even more difficult to combine approaches. Let's break it down.

Ch'ase - this has already been discussed on here extensively. Patents. Availability of human-grade enzyme. Method of delivery. More questions than answers. Some scientists say "get the bacterial enzyme into people now" and others will say "more pre-clinical studies are needed".

OECs - there are many questions marks about the quality and quantity of OECs extracted from the nasal mucosa for human usage. At least one scientists claims a bulbectomy will provide a better source of cells (which of course if far more invasive) but is unable to get the financial backing to start a trial with this procedure. Other scientists claim that OECs cannot create a sufficiently significant bridge in human-sized lesions and will therefore need to be combined with a biomaterial-based scaffold.

Schwann cells - again this has been extensively discussed. The Miami Project have been working on this like forever. They are now approaching a clinical trial for acutes. However, the challenge will be when it comes to chronic as it is well known that schwann cells do not integrate with astrocytes (the main constituent of the glial scar). James Fawcett's most recent work is looking into the receptors involved in allowing schwann cells and astrocytes to integrate. This work involves the role Ch'ase in enhancing this integration.

So, as you can see, it is tricky to achieve this combination in humans without more pre-clinical work as well as some kind of laser focused Manhatten Project whereby experts in each line of science are working together.
    Last edited by Fly_Pelican_Fly; 11-05-2011 at 01:56 PM.

I ask again... How does anyone make money from holding back condroitinase?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    I ask again... How does anyone make money from holding back condroitinase?
    i dont believe anyone said "make money from holding back condroitinase". i believe the jest of this conversation is that if a company doesnt see immediate or substantial profits from a particular drug then they dont push to develope it more. big pharmas are first and foremost in it for profits especially if they have stockholders to answer to.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Quote Originally Posted by ineedmyelin View Post
    i am old enough to remember when we lived with the fear of death by nuclear war. while we still have nucs today its the financial greed thats killing allot of people.
    Nature of capitalism