Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New t12

New t12

I sustained a t12 fracture 3 months ago, along with swelling and bruising of the cord. I was told by my surgeon and neurologist that recovery can take up to 12 months. After that I can evaluate where I'm at, and thats as good as I'll get. Can anyone attest to that??

The surgeon said that extensive PT is very important at this time. I am currently going to FL Hospital Sports Rehabilitation for that.

I continue to have trouble with my bladder and bowels. I'm seeing a nurse there who is doing biofeedback with me. Has anyone experienced any success with that?

I am currently using a cane and when wearing sneakers I have a leg brace that lifts my foot because I'm dealing with a dropped right foot. Anybody relate??

I have an Electronic Stimulation Device that I use twice daily on my right leg hoping that it will help with the dropped foot. I live in FL and i want to wear sandals when it gets warmer....Hope?! I absolutely love going to the beach...

I'm hoping and praying to recover as much as I can to live the way I used to...very independent, great career, driving my car, cooking, cleaning my house, etc..

Anyone...please..

Goodness, I can relate to all those things! I was injured 15 months ago in a tornado. I broke my L1 and L5 which have now been replaced by metal. It's been a long road. I was in a wheelchair for five months and then have made a progression to walker, crutches, canes and now, hiking poles.

My drop foot has cleared up on both feet and I no longer wear AFOs. I can drive my car without hand controls but had to give up my beloved manual for an easier automatic.

B&B has also improved and is almost back to normal.

It is a long road and your doctors are correct that physical therapy will be very important for you. Not only can they help you strengthen what you have but they can also help you refine your gait, build stamina and make adaptions until your recovery is complete.

When will that happen? No one knows. The fact that you are up and walking with a cane in such a short time is remarkable. Keep working hard and give yourself time to heal.

As for the sandals...well, I've put my crocodile stilleto boots in a box in the closet. Just couldn't bear to look at them any more. Maybe someday I'll be able to bring them out again. For now, I'm happy to get into a pair of sketchers and be up on the treadmill.

Be happy with the recovery that you have so far. Be grateful for every day...every minute of life. Vow to live your life well, no matter what your abilities. Find ways to enjoy your days while you recover.

Very wise Truly!

Lip 26.... Glad you found this forum and sorry you need to be here. There are alot of people that can share their experiences with you but the thing that becomes very evident is that each one is unique. Just because CC member A regained B&B function in 5 months does not mean that CC member B will even though their injuries are very similiar.

You are very lucky to have regained what you have so far and hopefully you will get it all back. I just like Truly's advice stressing gratitude. I have read so many posts about people who drive themselves crazy because they cannot get back to "like they used to be!" Keep being grateful for every bit of progress you make day to day. Not gauging yourself against how you "used to be" but gauging today against yesterday!!! Progress gets you there and an attitude of gratitude makes the ride a bit smoother.

Truthfully at 3 months post injury you are still VERY early in the process.

Glad you found us here and please understand there are no stupid questions. You will find alot of understanding and compassion here from those that have lived or are living what you are.

I know I have not answered your specific questions because I cannot answer most of them but I hope some of this helps.

Grange
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

One other observation and bit of shared experience. Not all PT facilities are equal especially when it comes to SCI. A sports physical therapist might do great working out the kinks after a bad day on the basketball court but they may not know dodlesquat about rehabbing an SCI. I would encourage you to find a place that specializes in SCI. It can make a big difference!!! Hopefully the facilities you are using now are well versed in rehabbing SCI!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

cant a person with your level and duration of injury get in the geron trial?
    (sorry, I don't have all the facts and figures)
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Man o man are you lucky. Hey welcome to CCC. The reason I say that you are lucky is because you apparently only had swelling a bruising of your spinal cord. If you study the SCI on this site, you can start to see a pattern. Just shocking the spinal card is about the easiest SCI to get over, compared to having bones shoved in to it. Thats why you are up and about so soon. That being said its still a very difficult injury to get over. When you go to physical therapy, that should be your ease days. In other words workout at home far harder. Just keep at it, Make exercise your job for now. Look back at how far you have come, and try to just live one day at a time
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Thank you all,
    Flying -- Is there such a thing as doing too much to early in the game?
    Isn't rest really important to healing as well?

If you don't mind Truly and Grange, how old are you? male/female?

Quote Originally Posted by LIP26 View Post
    I sustained a t12 fracture 3 months ago, along with swelling and bruising of the cord. I was told by my surgeon and neurologist that recovery can take up to 12 months. After that I can evaluate where I'm at, and thats as good as I'll get. Can anyone attest to that??

The surgeon said that extensive PT is very important at this time. I am currently going to FL Hospital Sports Rehabilitation for that.

I continue to have trouble with my bladder and bowels. I'm seeing a nurse there who is doing biofeedback with me. Has anyone experienced any success with that?

I am currently using a cane and when wearing sneakers I have a leg brace that lifts my foot because I'm dealing with a dropped right foot. Anybody relate??

I have an Electronic Stimulation Device that I use twice daily on my right leg hoping that it will help with the dropped foot. I live in FL and i want to wear sandals when it gets warmer....Hope?! I absolutely love going to the beach...

I'm hoping and praying to recover as much as I can to live the way I used to...very independent, great career, driving my car, cooking, cleaning my house, etc..

Anyone...please..
    I can relate. I am 23 years post and female. T12-L3 fusion with L1 or L2 being my crushed vertebrae, I went through bucket seats backwards and was pinned in a car all night. Injury level is different from function level and it sounds like you are functioning at a sacral level injury like me.

I like you had massive recovery in the first year. Another lady here, Bente from Europe shares our injury level also. I went from not being able to stand to walking with forearm crutches and then to a cane to walking with nothing but AFO's in 6 months. I still wear both AFO's because I never recovered my ankles/movement.

Every injury is different. I have changed over the years even at 23 years. I will not say that my changes in the last 8 years have been positive as I age. I worked hard young being injured at 20. I raised a daughter by myself, went to college, and did everything myself including forcing myself to drive a manual vehicle. I would not let my physician order a wheelchair for me because I wanted "that" full recovery.

You can still have everything you want in life. I have and did including a career that has killed me to let go of. I have always had a "half full glass" mentality. If it could be done and we wanted to do it, my daughter and I did it. She was 6 months old at the time of my accident and I missed her first steps the day before I came home from the rehabilitation hospital. I made it a point to NEVER miss anything else. I am getting ready to make my 8 or 9th cross country trip...the others I have made alone.

So what I am saying to you is....take care of your body while you are young. It will save you pain in the later years. That is my advice. Walking is not living...being happy and living life is living. Don't focus on a "full recovery" as it may not come but get the most out of recovery that you can if that makes sense.

You can wear sandals with your AFO. There are lots of independent women here LOL. Injury has not stopped them from living or being happy. Sometimes I have to step back and look to see my half full glass. Don't forget to laugh.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Re: biofeedback for your bladder what were your Urodynamics results?
    Since it is most likely neurogenic it depends on what biofeedback she is doing and what the bladder is doing and if you have any type of control.
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by LIP26 View Post
    Thank you all,
    Flying -- Is there such a thing as doing too much to early in the game?
    Isn't rest really important to healing as well?

If you don't mind Truly and Grange, how old are you? male/female?
    Sorry, LIP26, I got distracted and never made it back to this post. I'm female and 54 years old. I was very fit before my accident and did lots of walking, hiking, kayaking, snowshoeing, biking. Now, my efforts are all pointed towards strengthening and recovery.

You do need rest. Rest is just as important as exercise. However, I'm a firm believer in 'use it or lose it'. Now's not the time to slack off on your workouts. Give yourself a day or two of rest during the week and then give it your all the rest of the time.

Best wishes on your recover. I hope it goes well and you're back to the life you loved before this all started.