Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Affordable attachable-handcycle

Affordable attachable-handcycle

Hello everyone,

I am an ASU bioengineering graduate student and I have been designing and developing prototypes of attachable hand-cycle devices for developing countries.

I am now going forward with a new design that can attach to ANY wheelchair without modifications, that I can hopefully start selling in the U.S. in the next couple of years. Before I go any further with the prototype, I need to know the potential use for this device in the U.S. Specifically, I need to know if anyone feels the need to even have a device like this, and what their thoughts are on the device.

If you have the chance, would you be kind enough to take a very short survey (8 questions) for part of my market research.

Here is a link to the survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/P7N9537

Thanks!!!!
    p.s.- if you have any questions or recommendations about the device, feel free to let me know.

This product is not only going to be sold in the U.S., but I am currently making a prototype out of bamboo for non-profit in African countries, where I will be setting up workshops in Kenya over the summer to teach engineering students to fabricate the device. So your responses will be helping a great deal towards helping the extremely disadvantaged in Africa. Feel free to pass the link to the survey on to anyone you think would be interested in a device like this. Thanks!!!

Here is a link to the original prototype that I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShKnG...el_video_title

The new design that I am proposing is significantly improved over this design that was made primarily from bicycle parts.

It's a good start Di.
    Make sure the wheel hits the ground at 900 or the front end will flutter at speed. It was a big problem in the early days. It looks like it sticks straight up too much; making the person lean forward to propel. You have abs, which many of the users won't so sitting forward makes the person very unstable. Anyway you can make the cranks a little longer.

Looking forward to seeing the new design.

I'm concerned about the cushion. Every wheelchair user eventually finds the cushion that works best for him- or herself. The cushion is very important and very specific and the wrong cushion can lead to skin breakdown.
    For instance, I use a Stimulite Contour cushion and would be very wary about using this device if it used a Jay or Roho cushion.

My sentiments exactly regarding the seat cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by EastRando View Post
    I'm concerned about the cushion. Every wheelchair user eventually finds the cushion that works best for him- or herself. The cushion is very important and very specific and the wrong cushion can lead to skin breakdown.
    For instance, I use a Stimulite Contour cushion and would be very wary about using this device if it used a Jay or Roho cushion.
    Why would those cushions you mentioned casue you concern in conection with using the attachment?

I'm a bit confused regarding the attachment and cushion. If your unit attaches under any cushion, no issue, but if it comes with a cushion to sit on there is.

or if it's designed to work only with certain cushions. Keep on the great work, there's certainly a need for affordable adaptive equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by EastRando View Post
    I can see where your concern comes from about the cushion...I know a few people that are in wheelchairs and they said the same thing. The device is designed to come with its own cushion (so that you are not sitting on top of the docking frame)...but seeing that the main issue with many people is the cushion, do you think that it would be better if the cushion came off with Velcro or something similar?? Then you can Velcro your own cushion that suits you best on top of the seat docking frame.