Thread: Rick Hansen Global Accessibility Map

Rick Hansen Global Accessibility Map

Hey guys. You may remember I received a grant from the Rick Hansen Foundation to work on an accessibility map for Montreal (see the link in my sig) . Somebody must have liked the idea because they have started their own web application. So I'm using the rest of the money they gave me to integrate the info I gathered into their application. Check it out. I's a global map with which you can log in, create, then rate locations regarding their accessibility. It's a 5 point rating system, rating the entrance, function, customer service, pathways and bathrooms of the location. You can type in the address or just click on the map to create the location, then rate it from there.

As you can see, there's a lot of info on Vancouver (where the RHF is based) and Montreal (where I live), but they need more input from users like you. Not just locations, but feedback regarding its ease of use and accessibility. So if some of y'all could check it out, maybe try adding a couple of locations in your area, it would be appreciated. Negative feedback is fine too. I for one, think it's web address is the longest, silly address I've seen since the 20th century!

http://rickhansenglobalaccessibilitymap.com

Oh btw, they're currently having a medal relay across Canada to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Rick Hansen's journey around the world. As a medal bearer, I got to do this. It was awesome!

Last edited by christopher; 11-03-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: I am my own grammar nazi

Looks really good Christopher!. I added it to my bookmarks. Where did you get to fly at; looks like a lot of fun.

It's a place called Skyventure, a bit north of here, in Laval. It's fun but it's a bit expensive.They have one in Florida, Colo., NH and others. It's a 'skydiving simulator'.

Good job Chris

Here's a promotional video I did.

What a great idea!

If we all add reviews of places we've visited or stayed within the last few years the data base would be massive in no time.
    Last edited by Timaru; 11-10-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Fantastic job Chris!

I transferred quite a few of my site reviews about Maui onto this map from my google map project and I think it is a great resource. Information like this should be assembled and disseminated to the largest audience possible. Good luck to this project. Australia has a good map like this also. I'll post it when I find it again. Aloha Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bruceofmaui View Post
    I transferred quite a few of my site reviews about Maui onto this map from my google map project and I think it is a great resource. Information like this should be assembled and disseminated to the largest audience possible. Good luck to this project. Australia has a good map like this also. I'll post it when I find it again. Aloha Bruce
    I saw the Hawaii sites. Good stuff! Thats what I'm doing with my google map project, transferring stuff into this map. There are a couple similar projects:

J'accede is similar but in French, for France. http://www.jaccede.com/

This German guy has Google behind him and they made a cool commercial (in German), but it's a bit too vast and simple (red=not accessible, yellow=sort of accessible, green=accessible). http://wheelmap.org