Thread: need ultra lightweight chair

need ultra lightweight chair

Our daughter was dx with brain tumor in her spinal cord in 2009, and AVN 2010. She uses a powerchair for out of house mobility but has regained enough right side strength to use man wc for rehab. We purchased a steel chair and it is too heavy for her. If anyone has a used ultralight, <20 pounds, in useable condition we would be happy to pay shipping.
    Contact me at nicole@phillipslifecoach.com

Sincerely, Nicole

Quote Originally Posted by niferr View Post
    Our daughter was dx with brain tumor in her spinal cord in 2009, and AVN 2010. She uses a powerchair for out of house mobility but has regained enough right side strength to use man wc for rehab. We purchased a steel chair and it is too heavy for her. If anyone has a used ultralight, <20 pounds, in useable condition we would be happy to pay shipping.
    Contact me at nicole@phillipslifecoach.com

Sincerely, Nicole
    Its gonna be real tough to find one less than 20 pounds. Even the latest and greatest titanium chairs weigh that much or more depending on options.

Do you know her standard measurements?

seat 18x18, legs and back dont know. Since it will not be her primary chair I think we can use most adult leg and back sizes, just not pediatric chair.
    Any lightweight chair made for self propelling will be better than the transport chair we bought. We didnt know any better than. Without armrests to wrestle with and no handle bars she will be able to begin pushing self. Yeah!

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    where are you from and how old is your daughter, how tall? You don't want something way too big, won't be good for her.

She 12 yo, 5'3'', ~150 lbs. Thanks for your help.

where do you live?

With that size and weight..... The specs I would guess for you are
    15 or 16 wide
    15 or 16 deep
    16" seat to floor
    13-14" leg length
    15" back
    24" wheels

As stated above, it will be tough to find a used chair with those exact specifications. Call around to dealers and ask for a "K5 demo 16x16 or smaller" To get something in good condition, expect to pay $500-750.

ebay always has lightweight chairs for sale in all different sizes
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I have one I would comsider giving away if I knew where you were located? I don't want to screw around with shipping. I would also like to make sure it is a close fit, I don't want to be responsible for a poor fitting chair.

We are in Morgantown, WV right now. My husband is in NW PA, we have friends and family from OH to CO, Canada and East Coast all willing to pick it up if you are not interested in shipping. We would be happy to pay shipping if you can get it to UPS, theoy will box and ship all in one. I would hate to miss out on your offer because I feel it is in her best interest to begin using manual chair. She is very socially limited right now in her power chair bc I am her main caregiver and I am undergoing months of surgeries this winter as a breast cancer survivor which limits my own mobility and most people (my parents and family) are uncomfortable with the large truck and external lift we have to use to go out. So she is stuck in my parents house. She is home schooled and I guess I see this chair as her doorway to some independence this year...a mothers prayer.

Think about it and get back to me. Shipping would be easiet for us right now, But if you are on the east side of the country, mom, Victoria and I are always looking for road trips!

I just saw you are in IL...check mapquest and get the hours. We drive to CO regularly to see my sister between medical procedures so IL isnt that far for us....