Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sticky Keys - Spilled drink on laptop keyboard - UGH!

Laptop keyboards are pretty easy to remove/replace. Unplug, remove battery and ground yourself to remove static (static is brutal to puters). Then, usually you'll just need to remove the power panel (the plastic strip above the keyboard - or at the base of the LCD). Once removed there will usually be four screws holding the top of the keyboard down (I say usually but all the 15" and 17" I've done (25 or so) have had four screws, a netbook the only exception). Remove those and carefully tilt up the keyboard to disconnect the ribbon cable. Reverse to reinstall. That's it. Clean as GL suggested, though I'd prefer simple air drying. And if it can't be cleaned and needs replacing a laptop keyboard can be bought for $15-$20 on ebay (yes, new depending on model).

Just google your laptop model with remove keyboard and you'll find plenty of turorials. You can search youtube as well, you'll find tutorials there too. And check ebay for a keyboard before you get started, just in case you need one.

Smile

Thanks tumbleweeds. I appreciate the step-by step instructions - sounds like I can manage it.

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweeds View Post
    Laptop keyboards are pretty easy to remove/replace. Unplug, remove battery and ground yourself to remove static (static is brutal to puters). Then, usually you'll just need to remove the power panel (the plastic strip above the keyboard - or at the base of the LCD). Once removed there will usually be four screws holding the top of the keyboard down (I say usually but all the 15" and 17" I've done (25 or so) have had four screws, a netbook the only exception). Remove those and carefully tilt up the keyboard to disconnect the ribbon cable. Reverse to reinstall. That's it. Clean as GL suggested, though I'd prefer simple air drying. And if it can't be cleaned and needs replacing a laptop keyboard can be bought for $15-$20 on ebay (yes, new depending on model).

Just google your laptop model with remove keyboard and you'll find plenty of turorials. You can search youtube as well, you'll find tutorials there too. And check ebay for a keyboard before you get started, just in case you need one.
    Do not confuse silence with consent or fatigue for indifference.

Smile

Hi Jonna
    How are you doing ?

I want to share one more idea

Online computer parts stores sell bottled compressed air I keep a can by my desk to blow off the keys
    Hope everything is working out let me know pm me etc...
    Sincerely ;GL