Thread: moving to another city-logistical advice I'll take everything you have

moving to another city-logistical advice I'll take everything you have

I wasn't sure which forum to place this in because it touches on everything associated with injury, I thought of breaking it up into specific questions to fit each forum, but also thought that would get annoying, so I'm placing it here.

I live with my parents. I've been wanting to move, specifically, someplace warmer. Right now the plan is Atlanta, but that could change. I need to obtain an accessible apartment with a roll in shower in a good location. Appropriate furniture/ rent a hospital bed, hoyer etc.. Some outside help with my care (this could be either from agencies or college students looking for extra work). Some local Doctors. This has to be accomplished from 12 hours away. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff I've not listed, but these seem to be the most obvious. This is potentially a giant step and I'm slightly terrified. I'd love advice on anything in everything involved with moving. Also, I'll have a little help.

I've had an aide offer to help me move. She'll be an RN in May after graduating and then she'll be available to move with me. Basic plan-she'll live with me at least 6 months and do all of my care + everything else involved in the household. My plan is to get her some extra help as soon as possible (possibly a maid/cook and some outside caregivers).... I have absolutely no idea how much to pay her... hourly doesn't really work because she's always available, so I'm thinking of salary... but how much?
    thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by wchair View Post
    This has to be accomplished from 12 hours away.
    Housing: I'd strongly advise that you take a long weekend and go visit apartments in-person. Do some research ahead of time and make a plan of places to check out.

Furniture: don't rent. Go to Ikea. Their stuff is affordable & relatively accessible.

Medical equipment: no advise there, but Atlanta is big enough that you shouldn't have a problem. Google is your friend.

Moving is a big deal, but it can be exciting! It's worth the effort.

A couple of recommendations:
    • Go soon for a long weekend or longer, and stay in a hotel with your aide or parents. Check out areas you want to live, and what housing is available (and what it costs) now. Are you going to be working or going to school? Try to find housing near where you plan to be doing these things.
    • Stock up on meds and supplies now. If you are planning on applying for Medicaid in GA, you will have to be a state resident for at least 30 days to apply. If you have private insurance, be sure they provide coverage in GA. Your Medicare will not be a problem as it is totally portable as long as you don't have a Medicare HMO.
    • Contact the Shepherd Center NOW. Ask for referrals to physicians. Ask about lists of accessible housing in the Atlanta area. They should also be able to refer you to DME rental companies and vendors.
    • Do you have a van? Drive? Will you need paratransit? Find out about the application process for this ASAP.
    • If you are renting equipment now, can you purchase through your insurance company and take with you? Mattress, bed frame, shower/toilet equipment, and mechanical lifts are going to be rentable, but may not be the type you actually need. Best if you can get them funded to purchase and move them.
    • Don't expect to find a lot of apartments with roll-in showers. You may need to settle for a tub. Consider a slider tub/shower/commode chair. Not cheap, but functional in nearly any bathroom set up you find.
    For a live in attendant, who is an RN, you will need to find out what the going rate is in that area. I am a little leary of depending on someone who has just obtained their RN license. She is likely to find a good paying job as a new grad pretty quickly, and may leave you in the lurch. If she were an unlicensed PCA, then monthly wages of $2000-2500 plus board and room are likely in my area, but as an RN, she is likely to be able to make at least $45,000/year working in a hospital or home care, even as a new grad.

(KLD)

Hi "wchair,"

If you haven't been keeping a good personal medical record, you might want to approach your current physicians and ask them to supply you with copies of your medical records under their service for at least the prior two years. Usually there is a cost associated with copying records. Ask what fees you might expect to pay. Make sure you have official reports for tests, scans, x-rays (i.e., urodynamics, blood tests, procedures, bladder infection records with drugs prescribed, CDs of x-rays or scans). If you have long term relationships with your doctors, consider asking for letters of referral/recommendation to "whom it may concern" in your new location.

Good luck on your move and let us know how things are working out for you.

All the best,
    GJ

Move to Seattle, there's only 2 snow days a year.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A couple of recommendations:Stock up on meds and supplies now. If you are planning on applying for Medicaid in GA, you will have to be a state resident for at least 30 days to apply. If you have private insurance, be sure they provide coverage in GA. Your Medicare will not be a problem as it is totally portable as long as you don't have a Medicare HMO.
    Don't expect to find a lot of apartments with roll-in showers. You may need to settle for a tub. Consider a slider tub/shower/commode chair. Not cheap, but functional in nearly any bathroom set up you find.
    For a live in attendant, who is an RN, you will need to find out what the going rate is in that area. I am a little leary of depending on someone who has just obtained their RN license. She is likely to find a good paying job as a new grad pretty quickly, and may leave you in the lurch. If she were an unlicensed PCA, then monthly wages of $2000-2500 plus board and room are likely in my area, but as an RN, she is likely to be able to make at least $45,000/year working in a hospital or home care, even as a new grad.

(KLD)
    KLD,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I do have a Medicare HMO. As I understand it, I can opt to switch to just Medicare after moving or pick another Medicare HMO in that state, correct? Do I have to switch to the new HMO prior to moving though, or do I have a certain amount of time post-move?
    I've seen a number of the slider tub/commode chairs. I use one to travel. But I've never seen one that was both comfortable enough for everyday use and durable enough to last through long term use. Any recommendations?
    I'm a little leary of depending upon a new graduate/RN myself and not just because of her earning ability in a hospital, but this one is a little different. She actually offered to help without me suggesting it directly. She's a very caring person... more interested in quality of life than money. But I do want to get her some outside help as quickly as possible to avoid a quick case of caregiver burnout.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
    Never mind....