Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How easy is it to catch C.diff?

Won't probiotics, if taken in concurrence, prevent the type of c diff that is caused by antibiotics?
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Uroquid is not an antibiotic. It is a urinary antiseptic, so unlikely to cause c. diff.

If you had a case of c. diff. that started in August, you would have had symptoms prior to this.

(KLD)
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    In hospitals, both types can occur, esp. if poor handwashing (is NOT killed by alcohol based hand cleaner) and poor disinfection of areas soiled with stool (toilets, handrails of bed, etc.).

(KLD)
    It was an eye-opener to see how lax cleaning standards have become in hospitals. During an eight-day stay a cleaner came around with a dry mop for the floor three times and the handrails on my bed were never cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Won't probiotics, if taken in concurrence, prevent the type of c diff that is caused by antibiotics?
    According to Andrew Weil, MD - confirmed by Mayo's C. difficile pages - a general, multi-strain probiotic supplement can help by competing with C. difficile in the intestinal tract. A yeast, Saccharomyces boulaardi, seems to be especially beneficial against C. difficile when taken as a separate supplement.

Thanks Bonnette.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    According to Andrew Weil, MD - confirmed by Mayo's C. difficile pages - a general, multi-strain probiotic supplement can help by competing with C. difficile in the intestinal tract. A yeast, Saccharomyces boulaardi, seems to be especially beneficial against C. difficile when taken as a separate supplement.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

emi, if I were in your situation I'd make sure to eat regular yogurt daily and mix in some probiotic yogurt. The 'good' bacteria in yogurt would crowd out any c. difficile bacteria. Too much probiotic yogurt with live culture at once will give you an upset tummy.

The probiotic yogurt certainly will help to keep the c.dif away. However, the bet defense against it is to stay way from anyone who has it. Also, make sure you and your caregivers wash your hands frequently using good old fashioned soap and water.
    CKF

Just an FYI, research has shown saccharomyces boulardii
    to be the most helpful in shortening the time frame recovering from C diff.

I take both of these probiotics:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CG8Q8wIwAQ

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHUQ8wIwAA
    And the truth shall set you free.

i had it in '96 after two courses of different antibiotics back-to-back. I didn't know about it and my loose bowel was blamed on those antibiotics. I ended up hospitalized. One first day of admittance, after yet another incidence of diarrhea, an older nurse entered my room and based on the smell alone knew it was c diff.
    Next hing you know, the doc ordered a culture and I was on flagyl. I had took that for a month and it is unpleasant. I take a a probiotic now whenever I am on antibiotics.

My son had c-diff after being treated for pneumonia. He had several false negatives but intestinal biopsy showed c-diff.

For us, we knew he had c-diff when his older brother commented, "what died in the bathroom?" Unfortunately despite the diarreah and weight loss, JHopkins let it run for 4 months before treating it. They preferred to think it was ciliac disease.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Cheesecake, was it c-diff who made him so sick last year (or the year before, time is going too quickly)?
    TH 12, 43 years post