Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold Laser - Is it the same as Laserpuncture?

lol

eom

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Laser Therapy

For Dr. Young's reference, a plethora of potential physiological mechanisms are summarized on www.erchonia.com. Although I do not know details, the listed mechanisms include 1) "633 nm rescue of axotomized neurons" and 2) affects "the electrical activity and morphology in both severely injured peripheral nerves." Sonds intriguing! Erchonia is an Arizona company that markets a FDA-approved low level laser device.

There are a lot of studies and considerable anecdotal information that suggests that laser therapy may have considerable potential when it comes to SCI

Laurence, a phenomenon is not the same as mechanism. I do accept the presence of a therapeutic effect without a well-understood mechanism. For example, for many centuries, it was known that aspirin will reduce fever in people but the mechanism (which by the way is due to inhibition of an enzyme called cyclo-oxygenase) was not well understood. On the other hand, I think that therapeutic effects of aspirin and other cyclo-oxygenase inhibitors have been documented in clinical trials.

After reviewing many studies that involve lower-power laser, I must say that I am not convinced by the data presented that there are biological effects of low power lasers. There have been very few rigorous double-blind randomized studies of laser therapy. While there have been convincing studies suggesting that mechanical or electrical acupuncture have biological effects on pain and spasticity, I am not aware of any study that show significant functional restorative effects of these traditional acupuncture methods in spinal cord injury.

As you know, acupuncture is widely practiced in China and they have the greatest expertise and history of acupuncture use of any country in the world. If acupuncture had such beneficial effects, it would be widely used in China to restore function to people with spinal cord injury. I am not sure that laser acupuncture would be any better than traditional mechanical or electrical acupuncture practiced by experts in China.

Wise.

Thank you all for your answers and input

But unfortunately my brain doesn't follow lengthy articles and discussions. I was the lucky recipient of a slight brain injury with my SCI in '84. Took me almost 7 years to learn to count beyond 3 again, and I struggle with it even now when I'm tired. As I age, I think my comprehension and memory skills are worsening too. I just kinda thought maybe I should explain a little why sometimes I have NO clue what you people are talking about. But I fake it good, huh?

So anyway, I take it then the answer is no, they are not the same?

Thanks,
    Cindy

cindyg,

I think that "cold laser" and "low-powered laser" are probably referring to the same technology. Most of the lasers used today for acupuncture are "cold laser".

Wise.

Here is interesting link about lasers & medical applications

To resume the discussion, several studies on laser therapy have been done, especially on the following:
    Treatment of chronic neck and shoulder pain with 635 nm low level laser therapy. A randomized, multi-center, double blind, clinical study on 100 patients.
    Low power laser irradiation increases survival of axotomized motoneurons
    Power density and exposure time of he-ne laser irradiation are more important than total energy dose in photo-biomodulation of human fibroblasts in vitro.
    Biomodulation effects on cell mitosis after laser irradiation using different wavelengths.

To read more information and reports on the above results, you can check out Erochnia website : www.erochnia.com.
    Apart from Margaret Naesers works and the protocol I had in Lyon, other studies aim to show that there are biological reactions further to the use of low-powered lasers.

The results we have with laserpuncture and SCI aim to show that a serious protocol, i.e., double blind versus placebo, would help to show the biochemicals effects of cold lasers in the restructuration of post-injury functions. Another way would be open to define or find the cold laser effects, either through thermography or with a positron camera, but again the cost is very high.

There are a lot of means to show laser therapies effects, but unfortunately, it may be the will to do it and financial means that are lacking. If a University may wish to get involved in such a research, we could move forward towards a better understanding of laserpuncture close mechanisms specifically, and low-powered lasers in general.

I would like to thank all the members who added their contribution to this discussion as it helps the debate to move forward.

Albert