Thread: Do standing chairs or standing frames aid in healing pressure sores?

Do standing chairs or standing frames aid in healing pressure sores?

It makes sense, intuitively, that standing would: (a) keep more pressure off a wound than even the best air mattresses, and (b) aid in circulation to the buttocks. I read claims of these two things, but is there any MEDICAL AUTHORITY to support them? Any studies or clinical trials, even scholarly articles?

I need the medical authority to provide both my doctor and the insurance company in order to get a standing wheelchair. Thank you in advance for any help or leads.

Unlikely, if your pressure ulcers are ischial or sacral, since most standing wheelchairs and standing frames actually press on your buttocks when lifting you and keeping you in the standing position. Of course you cannot remain in the standing position too long either, or risk skin breakdown on your feet and legs. Ideally, to heal pelvic pressure ulcers, you should not be up in a wheelchair or sitting at all.

(KLD)

Thank you for your input.

As a follow-up, are there any known side effects or detrimental results from taking 2500 mg of BCAA (branched chain amino acids), and a packet Of Juven per day, while trying to heal a pressure sore?

I'm getting with the doctor considers to be good results (staying out of the chair and on a low air loss mattress all the time, except once a week to see the doctor). But after four weeks, I'm still only about halfway there. I'm looking for any hints to expedite healing.Oh, and I'm on a wound VAC, plus I am eating lots of meat, drinking at least one milkshake a day, and trying to get all my vitamins too.

Also, is there any way to get e-mail notification set up so that I know when there's a reply?

Thank you.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Unfortunately, even that short trip to the doctor has a bad effect on the area. I know there is nothing you can do about that. It is a slow process. Make sure that you are drinking enough water.
    As far as I know, there is no way to set up email notification, but I will double check on that.
    CKF

Quote Originally Posted by Quad Kings View Post
    Also, is there any way to get e-mail notification set up so that I know when there's a reply?
    Do you mean knowing when someone replies to your posted question?

For that, subscribe to this thread:

Post Research on Preventing Pressure Sores

Here are 8 research studies related to how standing can prevent pressure Ulcers/maintain skin integrity. http://www.easystand.com/health-benefits/research-categories.cfm?categoryID=9
    Hope that this helps.
    Bryanne

Yes, a standing frame is recommended to prevent complications - specifically osteopenia/osteoporosis and decreased bone density and fractures, helps with spasticity, and it is just one of those things everyone who can use one should have and use.
    CWO